PDA

View Full Version : Old AquaController Apex at work

jacob.morgan78
09/20/2017, 09:17 AM
Need some help... I've done a bunch of my own researching and reading and can't come up with a solution.

I recently setup a reef tank at work and would like to have some basic control of it through an old AquaController Apex I got from a buddy of mine. I can't access the network with it so I was hoping to just connect it and use it right from my laptop (which is right next to the tank). I've already put http://apex in the browser and it can't find it. Maybe my buddy changed the name??? I don't have the display so only have the browser option to make changes. I understand I won't be able to check in when I'm out of the office or be able to use fusion...

I don't expect someone to walk me through step by step as I know this has to have been asked before. If you can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

I've checked the comprehensive manual (https://www.neptunesystems.com/downloads/docs/Comprehensive_Reference_Manual.pdf) and know my answer has got to be in there somewhere but I can't find it!!! If you want to give me a page number to start on, that would be great too!

Thanks a lot!

Jake

five.five-six
09/20/2017, 10:13 AM
If your work has wifi you can use an app called "fing". It will give you the controller's ip, but it doesn't call it neptune.... something else. Once you have the ip you can go from there.

If you don't have Wifi, you would need to acces the routers ARP table. Is there an IT guy there to help you with that?

jacob.morgan78
09/20/2017, 12:27 PM
The closest IT person is a couple counties over...

jacob.morgan78
09/20/2017, 12:36 PM
Honestly, I'm not interested in the online aspect. Basically just want a heater controller/thermostat backup and to be able to look at some parameters while at work. With the on/off capabilities too just for convenience.

five.five-six
09/21/2017, 07:06 AM
You will have to figure out the IP and get a cable to it. Can you get a cable to it?

jacob.morgan78
09/21/2017, 08:57 AM
A cable to the router? No. There's no way to hook it up with just an ethernet cord to the laptop? No internet or network involved??

Thanks for your help!