PDA

View Full Version : 75 gallon tank help

RWB3
09/20/2017, 04:18 PM
I am currently running a fluval 406 filter and just purchased a trigger systems 36 sump. I was thinking of buying a shadow 16" overflow and was wondering if it will be too large for my tank? Also i have been watching several videos on it but cant find one that shows how to adjust it. Several reviews say that it will be silent after adjusting it. I want to drill my tank and install the sump all at the same time. Can i do the adjusting to the overflow with my tank completely set up on the stand against the wall?

Thanks in Advance!

mcgyvr
09/20/2017, 05:47 PM
Is the tank already up/running?
drilling/install overflow on a running tank is not really easy nor suggested but possible..
far easier though to lay it down on its face and drill the back that way..

To adjust the overflow you have a valve on the full channel siphon plumbing (so that stuff is not included with the overflow).. you close/open that valve to adjust/set
And yes you can always access that valve after the tank is against the wall because the valve is typically down in your sump area installed in an accessible location..

You really need to do a bit more research/google image searches of sumps/plumbing,etc...
Start here..
This is the type of drain system that those overflow boxes have (bean animal)
read this entire article..
http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx
The diagrams there show the valves in the back but they don't have to be there and can be lower/accessible in the sump area.. That diagram also shows 3 valves.. only one is really needed on the main full channel siphon..

RWB3
09/21/2017, 08:25 AM
Yes, it is running now but I will remove everything to a Rubbermaid box while i drill for overflow box. If I am correctly reading, I do not have to adjust the lengths of pipes in the overflow box just have them cut to length of instructions(synergy instructions) and do the actual adjustments with gate valve. I also see with the Bean setup a small air line to one of the tubes that the videos of the shadow box do not have. Will I be needing this on this overflow?

ssky
09/21/2017, 08:26 AM
I have a 75 gallon tank and honestly shadow 16 inch will be an overkill unless you are looking for some really crazy flow. I used eshopps overflow box with one one hole setup as herbie. It is dead silent. I actually have to run the return at a very low speed since I already have a wavemaker in the DT.

RWB3
09/21/2017, 06:45 PM
Anyone on here that uses the 16"shadow overflow on a 75 gallon tank? If so what kind of flow do you have?

JoeyBagadonuts
09/21/2017, 08:45 PM
I have it on my 75. I have an Ehiem 1262 return pump and one MP40. Plenty of flow for me!

RWB3
09/22/2017, 04:12 AM
I have it on my 75. I have an Ehiem 1262 return pump and one MP40. Plenty of flow for me!

Do you have one return line to the tank or two?

mcgyvr
09/22/2017, 04:50 AM
I run something like the shadow overflow (DIY version of it basically..) on my 80G tank and run 2 return lines only because thats my preference.. I use a Jebao DCP6500 pump for the return and have 2 x Jebao PP8 powerheads in the tank..

I personally would never recommend anything but a 3 pipe drain setup (bean/shadow) on any tank..
Yes a herbie can be quiet but only when the flow rate through it is very small.. now that might be ok but a bean is far superior with added fail safes that the herbie does not have..

JoeyBagadonuts
09/22/2017, 06:59 AM
Do you have one return line to the tank or two?

I have one return line. My sps are all happy and I have to carefully place my lps and softies in the few places that get low/moderate flow. In the future I might get another vortech, but that is definitely a "want", not a "need".