PDA

View Full Version : AP700 + 2 x kessil 360 on a 48x24x22 high ?

CTaylor
09/20/2017, 04:51 PM
Hi,
Rush decision again... Is the above too much? To have the AP700 in the middle, and a 360 on either side? SPS dominated, LPS on bottom, maybe clam or two near bottom. I am doing a 22" high as opposed to 24" partly to allow better light toward the bottom also.
It sounds like overkill, but I can get a really good deal on the AP700 right now
**If not the AP700, then for black friday I would just get a 3rd kessil 360 for a good deal, but not great :)

Thanks!

CTaylor
09/20/2017, 05:03 PM
I would think that having all those points of light would reduce shadowing also??

slief
09/20/2017, 06:38 PM
I would think that having all those points of light would reduce shadowing also??

Absolutely. Especially if you can position them with one row in front and one row towards the rear and angle them towards the center. You will have a ton of light and no shadowing.

CTaylor
09/20/2017, 07:50 PM
Thanks for chiming in :) ... I thought about PMing you but glad you answered :) .
As usually I will do what you say!
Side note. My 65 occupants were wiped out in irma. This is going on my 108 gallon being delivered Sunday.
Imgetting the kessil at 25 % off at drfosters smith! .. sale ends in 2 1/2 hrs.. It's MAP, but somehow the sale code worked 25% off! $700 ... Which I still can't afford, but it's huge $$ off. I can't get the hanging it from them b/c it's sold out. So i'll has to pay reg price elsewhere.. oh well :)

slief
09/20/2017, 08:50 PM
Thanks for chiming in :) ... I thought about PMing you but glad you answered :) .
As usually I will do what you say!
Side note. My 65 occupants were wiped out in irma. This is going on my 108 gallon being delivered Sunday.
Imgetting the kessil at 25 % off at drfosters smith! .. sale ends in 2 1/2 hrs.. It's MAP, but somehow the sale code worked 25% off! $700 ... Which I still can't afford, but it's huge $$ off. I can't get the hanging it from them b/c it's sold out. So i'll has to pay reg price elsewhere.. oh well :)

So sorry to hear about your loss. I guess if there is a silver lining, it's the upgrade. That's a great deal on those lights! I think you will love them and that will be an insane amount of light over that tank. :thumbsup:

CTaylor
09/21/2017, 12:20 AM
The loss led me to be spontaneous and go for bigger and better. This tank is a step, until I can move and get an even larger one.
I was thinking of the angling idea also. Similar to your set up I believe.
I could have the A700 up front , middle of course left to right, and angled back. Then the spots angled from back - left and right corner area, but not actually in the corners, and light directed toward center point of the tank.
Or I could have the A700 at the back and angled forward, down to tank center. The spots then angled from the front corner area and back to center.
*Only thing with angling lights is it would be hard on the eyes from the light being in your eyes. I really do not want to get a hood :-/
*So, maybe I can compromise and have the a500 point straight down. And the spots pointed from front corner area, going back toward the tank center. It would leave the back of the corals, that you do not see with shadowing.
**I'd be able to put a clam on bottom of the tank with this, right? I have a par meter, but it's a pia to use.

ktownhero
09/21/2017, 07:58 AM
1 AP700 is plenty for that tank, so adding the 360s will just flesh out your coverage.

CTaylor
09/21/2017, 09:08 AM
KT, you think that the AP700, with no other lights is plenty for a 108 sps dominated? << I do not mean that sarcastically! :) And that advise was.based on power outtage only, not coverage, right?
I was at one point going to get a third a360 until i saw this deal on the AP700. The AP700 from what I can tell is same power as two A360. And two A360 imo is not enough for a sps dominated 108. I could be wrong! . I still like anything that Slief says, but open to all input, and appreciated...

slief
09/21/2017, 11:58 AM
KT, you think that the AP700, with no other lights is plenty for a 108 sps dominated? << I do not mean that sarcastically! :) And that advise was.based on power outtage only, not coverage, right?
I was at one point going to get a third a360 until i saw this deal on the AP700. The AP700 from what I can tell is same power as two A360. And two A360 imo is not enough for a sps dominated 108. I could be wrong! . I still like anything that Slief says, but open to all input, and appreciated...

I don't think a single AP700 will give you enough spread for a 4' tank. The provide adequate spread for a 36" wide tank at best. I have an AP700 at home that I ran on a 36" wide tank. You would need two AP700's for the 48" width IMO. The extra 360We's will eliminate shadowing from front to back. Bottom line, you can't have too much coverage and you can always keep the intensity lower. The AP700's with the 360WE's would be a great combo in terms of coverage and shadow mitigation.

CTaylor
09/21/2017, 12:16 PM
thanks slief :) .. cant wait til it gets here... Now looking for a good deal on the brackets ugh lol... Of course they were not avail for the sale. But they are now. Oh well.

CTaylor
09/21/2017, 12:27 PM
update.. they are not avail from them at all.
**Can I keep a clam on bottom of this tank? its 22" high no sand bed to speak of
thanks

ktownhero
09/21/2017, 01:33 PM

The AP700 is not the same as two 360s. It has an entirely different reflector design that makes a big difference in power and spread.

That said, if you want end-to-end SPS then I think adding the 360s is a good idea (or some T5s).

CTaylor
09/21/2017, 02:27 PM
KTown, you seem to be 100% right. However, the power and spread does not need to be the same between the two models of kessil I have. For one they are symmetric, the a700 is between the two spots. Also though the intensity and spread is different, I can adjust the intensity of the a700 to come close or match that of the spots using the controller. It also doesnt have to be exactly the same intensity at even part of the tank from left to right either. That wouldnt happen even if I had all spots anyhow, since there is overlap in their spread, there will be areas of more (at least slightly) brightness and shimmer, etc. Especially if I'm angling them to reduce shadowing. It's a topless tank, at least I hope to keep it like that, so I prefer no T5's. I really like Kessil's overall anyhow.

ca1ore
09/21/2017, 04:29 PM
The AP700 is not the same as two 360s. It has an entirely different reflector design that makes a big difference in power and spread.

That said, if you want end-to-end SPS then I think adding the 360s is a good idea (or some T5s).

Reflector or diffuser? I've seen but not owned the 700, but it appeared to have shading issues still.

CTaylor
09/21/2017, 04:47 PM
Ca, I know your question was not directed to me. But to deal with shadowing, at some point, if not at the start, I can point the spots (360's) at angles pointed in toward the center of the tank. I can also point the a700 at slight angle from back to front or vice versa. Though I may need a hood to avoid having lights in eyes looking at the tank with some of these arrangements.
Perhaps angling the light will also help with even growth in the branching acros, so they don't grow straight up like reverse icicles (?)