PDA

View Full Version : Told Ich is symbiotic and can't be removed

jiminy_crime
09/20/2017, 10:55 PM
I read that letting your tank sit fallow for 8 to 10 weeks will ensure the eradication of Ich from your tank assuming proper QT of all fish thereafter but local Reef shops and others have stated that it is near impossible to remove Ich from your tank as it lives in symbiotic relationships with fish.

Which is true?

And must I invest in UV sterilizer if not able to eradicate Ich.

Thanks

jiminy_crime
09/20/2017, 10:57 PM
And disregard....LOL just found the sticky.

If it was a snake it would have bit me

Nick_Northern
09/21/2017, 07:04 AM
Sounds like you have found the info you need anyway but fyi if anyone trys telling you ich is symbiotic they have no idea what they are talking about! A symbiotic relationship is one where both parties benefit eg clownfish/anemone, pistol shrimp/goby etc, ich is parasitic in that it feeds off the host fish whilst offering no benefit in return

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

FoxFace Fish
09/21/2017, 07:43 AM
Sounds like you have found the info you need anyway but fyi if anyone trys telling you ich is symbiotic they have no idea what they are talking about! A symbiotic relationship is one where both parties benefit eg clownfish/anemone, pistol shrimp/goby etc, ich is parasitic in that it feeds off the host fish whilst offering no benefit in return

Actually it means the host suffer in parasitism

you are thinking of commensalism when one organism benefits while the other is neither harmed or gets a benefit for example a tree frog and a tree

ktownhero
09/21/2017, 08:04 AM

you are thinking of commensalism when one organism benefits while the other is neither harmed or gets a benefit for example a tree frog and a tree

:rolleye1:

Try re-reading what he wrote lol.

MondoBongo
09/21/2017, 08:41 AM
furthermore, UV sterilizers are ineffective against ich. they rely on water passing through them with the parasites in it. for a uv sterilizer to be effective it needs a slow enough flow rate so that any water going through stays in contact with the UV light for a sufficient amount of time. because of this, they're only filtering a fraction of the water at any given time.

couple this with the fact that they could only kill ich that was motile in the water column, and it all adds up to low efficacy. not worth the money imo.

there are reasons that UV sterilizers can be useful, eradicating ich is not one of them.

Nick_Northern
09/21/2017, 02:52 PM

you might want to re-read my comment. I'm not claiming parasites have a symbiotic or commensal relationship with their hosts/victims, I'm providing examples of symbiotic relationships and why ich should not be referred to as having a symbiotic relationship with its host

nereefpat
09/21/2017, 03:02 PM
Parasitism is a form of symbiosis. Not all symbiotic relationships are mutualistic.

Anyway...of course ich can be eradicated from a tank, as OP has found.