View Full Version : And the build begins

09/21/2017, 03:54 AM
Abit of background information;

The tank was originally an EA Marine 900 with an in-tank sump. This was stripped out and I was running the tank with a HOB filter and in tank Skimmer. Unfortunately, the tank failed and the structural seal was compromised. I believe this happened because the EA Marine stand was not adequate enough to support the load causing stress on the seams. I sold off all my livestock and decided to take a break from the hobby for a while I made decisions on how I would proceed with a new build.
I knew the new build had to have a bottom sump, so whatever direction I was going to take this was a must. I decided on a ghost type overflow, to free as much space in the tank as possible for aquascapping etc.
I decided on the Eshopp Large overflow because of the overall quality of build and price, and the design would allow me to install the “Bean Animal” type drain with ease.
I know I had to decide which way I was going with the tank. The size of the EA 900 was perfect for space I have got and realistically I already have the majority of the equipment to support this size system without having to upgrade all my equipment.
I had quotes for a new tank, and quotes to repair my existing tank. I made the decision to have my old tank repaired. The repair consists of a full strip down all holes drilled for the Overflow and returns and resealed and tested, and the pictures attached a some of that process.
I have made some modifications to the original stand after getting some very much needed guidance from people on here (you know who you are), I will upload the picture of the stand shortly of the mods I did to improve the overall integrity of the stand.
Lighting wise, I was originally running a Maxspect Razor with good success, but I was not getting the desired results with my SPS. I have taken the plunge of investing in an ATI T5 39w x 8 bulb unit which I bought at a steal. This unit is actually overkilled for my system, and the first bulb and last bulb would overhang my tank, so again I sort for some guidance on here and got some really good help and instruction how to modify the unit into a 6 bulb unit.
I will post some more pictures shortly of the upcoming build and equipment.






09/21/2017, 04:04 AM

*** There are two photos attached.

09/21/2017, 09:37 PM
im going to follow along..

10/04/2017, 11:48 AM
Picked up my 8 x 39w second hand ATI T5 unit. There is some damage to the outer cover so a friend of mine redrew the cover so I can get it made as ATI do not sell these as spares. All so the under tray where all the electrics bolt to is also badly rusted so that will all so be replaced. Stripped it down this evening and labelled up the wiring for reassemble when bits are made. Will add more pictures of the ATI refurbishment.


10/04/2017, 11:51 AM

10/04/2017, 11:57 AM
All the ballast and wiring, hope I've labelled it up right.

10/04/2017, 12:00 PM
Rusted undertray which is being replaced. This is what the ballasts and wiring was fixed to.


10/05/2017, 05:18 AM
Tank and sump should be here this week. I will also upload some pictures of my modified stand this evening.

10/05/2017, 08:29 AM
First part of the ATI refurbishment done, undertray finished.


10/05/2017, 08:59 AM
Tank is getting there.




10/14/2017, 10:16 AM
New equipment: Bubble Magus Curve 5


10/14/2017, 03:38 PM
Tank looks great.

10/16/2017, 11:04 AM
Tank looks great.

Thank you!

10/16/2017, 11:04 AM
Return Pump arrived today!