PDA

View Full Version : AI Hydra 26 HD Settings Assistance please! Intensity and parent child question.

PAXpress
09/21/2017, 07:48 AM
Good morning everyone,
I've recently made some changes to my tank. I used to have 1 Hydra 26 hd hanging over my 54g custom with sump about 8 inches above the water and growth was great or at least seemed to be good for the corals I'm keeping. Mainly LPS and softies. I've since changed things around a bit, tank is now a 65g (the older red sea max without the hood) and the lights are probably 12 inches or so above the water and I added a 2nd hydra 26 hd. I'm curious how others have their AI hydra 26 hd's programmed for ramp time, overall intensity etc. I'll attach a photo or two of my settings for the lights. I'm also still getting used to the child parent setup of these lights which I was barely able to get setup in the first place! Seems like the two lights are slightly different spectrum (to the eye at least...). Any help appreciated thanks guys!

GimpyFin
09/21/2017, 09:40 AM
Your settings look pretty good for starters. You check out the AI Hydra Settings thread too. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2307040 It can help if you're looking for some ramp/program settings from others. FWIW, I used to own a pair of the HDs and they are notorious for being slightly "Off" in color. I had to return at least a couple of them before I had two that were the same hue when programmed identical. Not sure if they've been changing LED suppliers or what, but it definitely looks cheesy when each half of the tank is a slightly different color.

PAXpress
09/21/2017, 11:47 AM
Your settings look pretty good for starters. You check out the AI Hydra Settings thread too. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2307040 It can help if you're looking for some ramp/program settings from others. FWIW, I used to own a pair of the HDs and they are notorious for being slightly "Off" in color. I had to return at least a couple of them before I had two that were the same hue when programmed identical. Not sure if they've been changing LED suppliers or what, but it definitely looks cheesy when each half of the tank is a slightly different color.

I'm not particularly worried about it being perfect but was just curious if there was a way to "Sync" the spectrum together somehow? I dont know why but previously I had the green LEDS at 0% so I just added a bit and then took that screenshot. What do you guys use for your AI's?

GimpyFin
09/21/2017, 12:21 PM
I'm not particularly worried about it being perfect but was just curious if there was a way to "Sync" the spectrum together somehow? I dont know why but previously I had the green LEDS at 0% so I just added a bit and then took that screenshot. What do you guys use for your AI's?

The child unit(s) take the settings of the parent once paired (If that's what you are asking?) That's the only sync for them.

PAXpress
09/21/2017, 02:45 PM
The child unit(s) take the settings of the parent once paired (If that's what you are asking?) That's the only sync for them.

Ok so the fact that they appear different is just differences in manufacture and not settings. Makes sense.

GimpyFin
09/21/2017, 03:19 PM
Ok so the fact that they appear different is just differences in manufacture and not settings. Makes sense.

Yes. When I first got my 26 HDs and paired them up out of the box, the overall color emitted was different between the two fixtures, despite using the same exact settings. I could easily notice it looking at the tank. I got a replacement pair and out of the 4 units, was able to find two that were the same and return the others.