PDA

View Full Version : Advice for simple Filtration for 46g Bow

RubenZ
09/21/2017, 09:44 AM
Hey all,

I have my Spec V doing nicely in my office at work and now I want to work on a 46G bow front I have at home. I'd really like to keep this tank mainly Coral and possibly a few little fish, peppermint shrimp,and snail. The Stand I made for it is more for support and looks rather than functionality so there is no way I can even fit any type of fuge, filtration, sump etc inside cabinet.

My main question is, can I get by on a 46 Gallon with a larger Aquaclear HOB setup with some Filter Floss, Bio, and Purigen and call it a day? will I need a skimmer, overflow, etc.

mcgyvr
09/21/2017, 10:11 AM
You can run any tank with just a powerhead for circulation/aeration.

No "filtration/chemicals" are NEEDED in any tank.
No tank needs a skimmer..
No tank needs a sump..

My first tank was a 10G nano reef that just had lights, a powerhead and nothing else..
It got weekly 2G water changes and thats it..

RubenZ
09/21/2017, 11:02 AM
Thanks. I was just worried about the size and if I would need to have all these other filtration methods people use to have a good successful tank.

mcgyvr
09/21/2017, 11:36 AM
Thanks. I was just worried about the size and if I would need to have all these other filtration methods people use to have a good successful tank.

Nope.. All of that "stuff" tends (can..sometimes it doesn't) to make maintenance easier or to require fewer water changes..

But none of it is "needed" for a successful tank..
A lot of it sure is nice to have though ;)