PDA

View Full Version : Do aquarium loses salt from skimmer?

zheka757
09/21/2017, 11:01 AM
If I change my my collection cup every week because it's full, do I lose salt with that dirty water?

zheka757
09/21/2017, 11:02 AM
*I mean to say drain my collection cup, not change!

MurphyLong
09/21/2017, 11:05 AM
Essentially, yes. With that said, depending on how wet or dry you're skimming will affect the amount you're losing. The wetter your skimmate is, the more salt you're losing, but depending on the size of your tank/skimmer, chances are that it's a negligible amount. If you're only cleaning it once a week, it's probably pretty dry.
I tend to skim a little on the wet side, but I also have a 5 gallon jug that my skimmer drains into, so I only clean the cup once a month, and pour the skimmate in the yard. (Which is apparently a great fertilizer, my plants love it.)

rtparty
09/21/2017, 11:10 AM
Essentially, yes. With that said, depending on how wet or dry you're skimming will affect the amount you're losing. The wetter your skimmate is, the more salt you're losing, but depending on the size of your tank/skimmer, chances are that it's a negligible amount. If you're only cleaning it once a week, it's probably pretty dry.

This.

That is why it is important to check your salinity often and calibrate your device just as often.

hkgar
09/21/2017, 11:58 AM
Yup. and from salt creep

Salahunreal
09/21/2017, 12:17 PM
I tend to skim a little on the wet side, but I also have a 5 gallon jug that my skimmer drains into, so I only clean the cup once a month, and pour the skimmate in the yard. (Which is apparently a great fertilizer, my plants love it.)" but I also have a 5 gallon jug that my skimmer drains into,"
Would it be possible to show with pic how this setup looks like. Interested in the idea but not sure how to implement it.
Thanks.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

jgln
09/21/2017, 12:40 PM
I tend to skim a little on the wet side, but I also have a 5 gallon jug that my skimmer drains into, so I only clean the cup once a month, and pour the skimmate in the yard. (Which is apparently a great fertilizer, my plants love it.)

That's interesting because any tank water I dispose of is too salty and kills everything. In fact I dump it in my gravel driveway for weed control.

mako61
09/21/2017, 12:45 PM
If you dose 2-part I think you also gain a little salinity. Prob not as much as skimmer loses.

Mainly you want to periodically check salinity with a calibrated device. I check display tank when I do a water change.

mako61
09/21/2017, 12:48 PM
That's interesting because any tank water I dispose of is too salty and kills everything. In fact I dump it in my gravel driveway for weed control.

Yea I dont think you want to use saltwater in gardens/yards. Didnt people in the olden days salt fields to screw their enemies.

hkgar
09/21/2017, 01:41 PM
" but I also have a 5 gallon jug that my skimmer drains into,"
Would it be possible to show with pic how this setup looks like. Interested in the idea but not sure how to implement it.
Thanks.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Not sure how murphy does it, but here is mine. The skimmer is a MTC.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bnp8XMImVYKeGCqY2

Salahunreal
09/21/2017, 05:41 PM
Not sure how murphy does it, but here is mine. The skimmer is a MTC.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bnp8XMImVYKeGCqY2

Much appreciated. Got the idea... :)

Just fyi, uploading pics or videos, usually i use tapatalk to view forums I subscribed with and its very easy to add video or pic when writing a reply or a thread

hkgar
09/22/2017, 05:41 AM
I don't like using my phone for the forums. I am an old fart and still use the pc or my lap top so pic upload from phone to google and I get the link.

MurphyLong
09/22/2017, 01:53 PM

Yea I dont think you want to use saltwater in gardens/yards. Didnt people in the olden days salt fields to screw their enemies.

Well, I've been pouring my skimmate in the same spot for years, and the elephant ears there grow like CRAZY. The ones a few feet away, not so much. The small amount of salt dispersed through there when it rains is negligible, in fact I did a controlled test years ago when I was growing peppers, and I sent in peppers from soil I had added salt to, and soil I hadn't, the salted soil yielded hotter peppers. (They measured a higher concentration of capsaicin.)

hkgar
09/22/2017, 02:45 PM
Well, I've been pouring my skimmate in the same spot for years, and the elephant ears there grow like CRAZY. The ones a few feet away, not so much. The small amount of salt dispersed through there when it rains is negligible, in fact I did a controlled test years ago when I was growing peppers, and I sent in peppers from soil I had added salt to, and soil I hadn't, the salted soil yielded hotter peppers. (They measured a higher concentration of capsaicin.)

What you are seein might be the result of the salt water changing the ph of the soil where you pour it. I know nothing about agriculture but have heard that different plants respond better to certain ph soils.

And, plants would like any NO3 or PO4 that might be in the water. That's what fertilizer is. What are your levels?

Kmiller035
09/22/2017, 10:22 PM
Epsom salt does wonders for many vegetables and plants. It takes a lot of salt to make the land barren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MurphyLong
09/25/2017, 07:44 AM
What you are seein might be the result of the salt water changing the ph of the soil where you pour it. I know nothing about agriculture but have heard that different plants respond better to certain ph soils.

And, plants would like any NO3 or PO4 that might be in the water. That's what fertilizer is. What are your levels?

I've never checked the levels in the skimmate... but I imagine it's pretty high lol. I don't pour straight saltwater on them, just the soupy skimmate.

hkgar
09/25/2017, 01:44 PM
I've never checked the levels in the skimmate... but I imagine it's pretty high lol. I don't pour straight saltwater on them, just the soupy skimmate.

I meant the levels in the tank

MurphyLong
09/25/2017, 02:53 PM
I meant the levels in the tank

Are you asking ME what my tank readings are, or the OP?