PDA

View Full Version : Frag Rock Question

Nekko123
09/21/2017, 05:23 PM
Hi,

I have a nice piece of rock which used to be in a freshwater tank but has been out of water and dry for years.

I was wondering if it would be okay to use this rock to make rubble to which I could attach frags. It seems to be quite porous. Do I need to worry about anything leeching out like iron or other metals? Or should I play it safe and just get some dead rock?

THanks

billdogg
09/21/2017, 05:44 PM
That look a lot like "lava" rock. I would question both what it is made of and what might leech out. If you go to your LFS, they will almost certainly have plenty of rubble that they'll sell you for a decent price.

As for frag "plugs", I use travertine mosaic tile available at your local HD/Lowes for about $10/12x12 sheet. I just peel what I need off the sheet, add a drop or two of Superglue Gel, and go at it. The tile pieces come in different sizes and shapes depending on your frags.

thegrun
09/21/2017, 06:20 PM
Lava rock almost always leaches heavy metals into the water, no you should not use it.

kmbyrnes
09/25/2017, 05:49 AM
As for frag "plugs", I use travertine mosaic tile available at your local HD/Lowes for about $10/12x12 sheet. I just peel what I need off the sheet, add a drop or two of Superglue Gel, and go at it. The tile pieces come in different sizes and shapes depending on your frags.

I like that idea!