PDA

View Full Version : Tank

Katatoniak
09/21/2017, 06:50 PM
Do most of you guys build their own tank ? I'm looking to buy my first one and it seems I only find the Red sea reefer and the Elos who comes with the stand.

I'd like to find a place online where I can buy only the tank and I'll build my own stand and sump.

I really love the look and the quality of the Reefer and the Elos one. Any way I can buy only their tank ?

Thanks a lot!

thegrun
09/21/2017, 07:18 PM
There is a definite art to building a quality structurally sound tank. I have built acrylic tanks in the past and several sumps, but never a glass tank. Considering the risk of a flood and the difficulty of building an aesthetically pleasing tank I think it is something best left to the pros.

SAT
09/21/2017, 08:57 PM
Katatoniak,

[Welcome]

Most aquarists don't construct their own tank. Acrylic tanks are available on line but for glass you will do better to work with your local fish store. Buying only a tank should not be a problem unless you are stuck on a brand that only sells as a combo.

This is a great conversation to have with your local fish store.

James404
09/21/2017, 09:38 PM
Why not got with an off the shelf tank for your first? You can build your stand how you see fit and get a decent tank for a decent price. 75 or 90g are a great starter tank IMO or even look at the Deep Blue line of tanks.

I was able to grab my 80g deep blue rimless for about $320 from my LFS.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Katatoniak
09/22/2017, 02:44 PM
I dont have a local fish store haha. Closest one is at like 500 miles.

That's why I'm mostly looking on the web

Thanks for your answer guys, I'll keep searching

mcgyvr
09/22/2017, 03:23 PM
Well.. where are you located?

Tanks can be shipped..
Where are you finding the red sea/elos tanks.. Those suppliers can likely get you many types of tanks..

Tuffyyyyy
09/22/2017, 03:50 PM
Do you live close to a Petco? You can always get a 40 breeder or something and drill it on your own. You can always check Craigslist, Facebook and Offer Up/Let Go to find some sweet deals.

Katatoniak
09/22/2017, 05:47 PM
I'm located near Sept-Iles in Quebec, Canada

I've contacted a reef supplies seller in the Montreal area. I hope we'll be able to find me a tank!