PDA

View Full Version : the appropriate selection between purigen or Algone.

masle1
09/21/2017, 10:28 PM
I'm currently running some nano tank as 18inch cube. and reactor for all-in-one biopellet. Skimmer, and so on. and There are 2 crown, 1 bluetang, 1 rock blanie, 7 small LPS and 1 small SPS. (planned to get the more big SPS at this moment)

My question is that which one is more appropriate using purigen or algone to ger rid of nitrate and phosphate.

and There are so many choices....denitrate, Purigen, matrix, Bio Pellets, the list goes on....Which one is more appriate way to get rid of the nitrate and phosphate? Especially I have the all-in-one biopellet and purigen. But I am wondeirng what materials is best way to get rid of nitrate and phosphate based on my circumstances.

LOL, I feel like adding it all to make the best circumstance But I hope to get your many opinions.

mcgyvr
09/22/2017, 04:46 AM
Its a small cube tank..
Water changes are all you need to maintain proper nutrient levels and to keep all other elements,etc.. from building up or becoming depleted.

None of those products are really that effective anyways.. biopellets IMO would be the best choice as out of the bunch can work the best given time..
But I would suggest you rely on water changes more than anything else..

and what is a blue tang doing in a nano tank?
Take it back to the store so it can go into a proper size tank..

ktownhero
09/22/2017, 11:53 AM
Its a small cube tank..
Water changes are all you need to maintain proper nutrient levels and to keep all other elements,etc.. from building up or becoming depleted.

None of those products are really that effective anyways.. biopellets IMO would be the best choice as out of the bunch can work the best given time..
But I would suggest you rely on water changes more than anything else..

and what is a blue tang doing in a nano tank?
Take it back to the store so it can go into a proper size tank..

This ^^^

kurt_n
09/22/2017, 10:01 PM
I used Purigen for many years after I started my tank. And then I didn't. No real changes in my nitrate levels after I stopped using it. It doesn't hurt, but it doesn't really help either. Even if it does help, Purigen doesn't remove nitrates... it just helps with the organics that eventually lead to nitrates. Once those organics have converted to nitrates, water changes are your best friend.

Good housekeeping and not overfeeding are your best friends to nitrate control. Go with a good GFO (Bulk Reef Supply is my favorite) for phosphate control.

PS... Oh, yeah... please rehome the tang.