PDA

View Full Version : Clam

gareth.hubbarde
09/22/2017, 08:02 AM
Thinking of adding a clam to the aquarium but not sure if I should, which one I should go for, does it need anything special?
Tank is about 6 months old now and seems quite settled. Soft corals are growing nicely and lps are settled. If I got a clam where should I put it? Lots of questions.

94litre kent marine bio reef
17kg live rock
4kg sand, 2kg as live.
100g fluval clearmax
Filter floss
1000 l/pH return pump
100w heater
Hydor 3200 wave maker

1 Mexican turbo snail
1 turbo snail
3 red legged hermit crab
1 blue legged hermit
2 nassarius snails
2 super nassarius

1 lawnmower blenny
1 hi fin goby
1 Tiger pistol shrimp
1 red fire shrimp
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
1 fireball dwarf angelhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170922/a4fca3c77c47adf1511e336498658ba4.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

James404
09/22/2017, 08:10 AM
Are you running just the standard lighting? Clams have higher light requirements similar to SPS. I don't believe the stock lighting is sufficient.

nereefpat
09/22/2017, 08:21 AM
Deresa are supposed to be the easiest, although they get huge. I'm not sure I would put a clam in that sized tank.

I agree we would need to know about your lighting. Specific water parameters would help too. They use a lot of Ca/alk

gareth.hubbarde
09/22/2017, 08:57 AM
Deresa are supposed to be the easiest, although they get huge. I'm not sure I would put a clam in that sized tank.

I agree we would need to know about your lighting. Specific water parameters would help too. They use a lot of Ca/alkLighting is led strips.
Fiji purple running at 80%
Reef white running 60%
Calcium is @450

flsalty
09/22/2017, 09:01 AM
In that size tank I would go with a Crocea, which only gets around 6". It needs to be on rock so you can put it up high to get enough light.

Next up would be Maxima, which gets to 8-9". It needs a hard substrate as well, but doesn't bore into rock like the Crocea.

Both do require high lighting.

gareth.hubbarde
09/22/2017, 09:02 AM
Thanks all for the replies very useful.

sde1500
09/22/2017, 10:19 AM
Good resources are on this site, but I book marked this one a while back, hope the link works. https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/153218-a-faq-on-clams/ its a nice breakdown of the most common types.

Your tank is a touch on the small side, but doable. Word of advise, QT it. And check it nightly for what looks like small grains of rice. They are parasitic snails that will kill the clam. I had one doing great and they appeared out of nowhere to do it in, didn't realize what they were until too late.

gareth.hubbarde
09/22/2017, 11:01 AM
Good resources are on this site, but I book marked this one a while back, hope the link works. https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/153218-a-faq-on-clams/ its a nice breakdown of the most common types.

Your tank is a touch on the small side, but doable. Word of advise, QT it. And check it nightly for what looks like small grains of rice. They are parasitic snails that will kill the clam. I had one doing great and they appeared out of nowhere to do it in, didn't realize what they were until too late.Really good article. Big thanks to you for thst.

monkeysee1
09/23/2017, 03:22 PM
Your dwarf angel might give the clam a hard time.
My Coral Beauty kept pestering mine. The little twit... ;)
Had to give it away..... it's in my brother's tank now.

Deresa are supposed to be the easiest, although they get huge.

That's what I had, a Deresa. Love those. It was so pretty. But my CB got a case of the munchies.....

UTCReefer
09/23/2017, 04:39 PM
Im not sure about the tank size but if you get a small clam like 2-3" you can grow him out until is 6-9" and then start again with a new smaller one plus some extra change to get more corals or fish or something.