PDA

View Full Version : using a Kalk reactor

hkgar
09/22/2017, 02:35 PM
I am currently dosing Kalk wit my ATO. I also use a calcium reactor.

Because of changing evaporation rate I am thinking of dosing wit a reactor. I would pump water from the sump through the reactor and to the tank. With the Apex I could control the times and amounts that are dosed and insure the quantity was the same every day.

Seems that generally folks run the ATO through the reactor?

ca1ore
09/22/2017, 10:10 PM
Yes, that is how I use Kalk. ATO pumps into avast Kalk stirrer which overflows into the sump. Works really well.

hkgar
09/23/2017, 06:27 AM
Will kalk dissolve in saltwater?

2una
09/23/2017, 02:52 PM
Will kalk dissolve in saltwater?

i asked that & got told its not a good idea as precipitation happens.

i rigged mine like this
Right is from ato reservoir
blue line down is dos feed line that feeds doser then to the kalk stirrer then to sump
left side solenoid controlled ato to sump

I just set the dos to dose an amount under evap rate & the ato will pick up any slack

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4246/34386446550_4f404c86dc_z.jpg

hkgar
09/23/2017, 03:02 PM
Let me think this through. I am using a Masterflex pump, controlled by Apex and an Avast marine pressure valve for my ATO. I have a Dos but am using that for my AWC.

If I t off from the line from the ATO storage to a dosing pump to a reactor I could set up a control for that pump to run through the reactor and do a set amount of gallons per day. If the water level gets too low than the Masterflex would trigger to play catch up on the water level.

Sound like it should work. I have a spare Masterflex I could use for the reactor feed - just need a head. (I have 3 masterflex pumps that a\I got when the could be gotten for not much more than a hundred).

ca1ore
09/23/2017, 05:34 PM
Kalk powder doesn't dissolve particularly well in FW, thus the role for the stirring device, and I have no idea if it's dissolves better or worse in SW. My lay-guess is that there's little difference. Alk 2 part can precipitate out in SW, but I observe no such thing with the Kalk water exiting my avast unit.

Yogre
09/23/2017, 09:07 PM
Calcium hydroxide (kalkwasser powder) is insoluble in seawater. If you try to dose it with salt water you will end up with chalk.

Kalk is not terribly soluble in freshwater. A saturated solution of kalkwasser is 2 teaspoons of kalk per gallon of freshwater. Adding more kalk than this will result in undissolved powder on the bottom of your reservoir.

There are a couple of good articles written by Randy Holmes-Farley in the Reef Chem sub forum archives that provide more details.