PDA

View Full Version : Missing Gobies -??

schnebbles
09/23/2017, 06:43 AM
I had a randalls pistol shrimp and a high finned banded goby. all was well. Then I decided to add a pinkbar goby.

he seemed to take over the shrimp and the hi-fin moved to the other side of the tank.

Shortly after that the pinkbar is missing. One day I see the hi-fin going back to the other side where shrimp was. Never to be seen again.

So, now we have 2 missing gobies.

2 weeks ago, I got a YWG and have not seen it once. I don't think it's alive. I had an ammonia spike, I had been watching it closely to try and know if the YWG died.

So, do you think the pistol could be killing them? It's very odd. he got along great with the hi-fin and I'd see him out frequently digging.

Of course, hindsight, I wish I'd have left it all alone. I want a goby but I'm not sure what to think. I know I'd seen Sk8er mention her pistol killed a YWG I believe. I just don't know why it would suddenly start killing. It was just a thought I had.

SAT
09/23/2017, 02:14 PM
There is no proof here, but I think it's distinctly possible for a shrimp to kill a goby. Once it develops a taste for that kind of food, I expect it won't stop. The manual says they are safe, but sometimes they don't read the manual.

James404
09/23/2017, 02:17 PM
Did you check behind the tank? I've had quite a few gobies go carpet surfing...

schnebbles
09/23/2017, 02:18 PM
It's just strange that suddenly 3 gobies are gone. I guess the shrimp can live in solitude then because I don't think I want to try again.