PDA

View Full Version : Where am I in the cycle?

Woonkie
09/23/2017, 08:23 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170923/2ce40939136ad531c397980d14fb5847.jpg

I got this tank and the water was in it with rocks for weeks before I picked it up. He had a clown in it and a piece of rock with some green coral on it. I transferred everything except the clown fish. I did a 7 gallon water change last night and itís a 90 gallon tank with a sump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maggie321
09/23/2017, 08:49 AM
If I am understanding correctly, the system (tank, rock, sand,and water) has been set up for weeks. You just recently moved it? Did the rocks dry out? Looking at those test results you are somewhere in the middle of your cycle. I would wait to add anything alive. You can test daily if you want to watch your numbers change but what you are looking for is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and a timberline 20 to 80 on nitrate. Then you do a decent water change like 20% or so and check the numbers again. Ammonia and nitrite should stay at 0 but nitrate should come down a bit. You can then add a clean up crew. Expect diatoms or cyanobacteria or algae... or all 3. Then your nitrates will disappear. But you want to do at least 10% water changes at this point every week. Your nitrates will return but at a lower level when the ugly phase has passed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Maggie321
09/23/2017, 08:50 AM
If I am understanding correctly, the system (tank, rock, sand,and water) has been set up for weeks. You just recently moved it? Did the rocks dry out? Looking at those test results you are somewhere in the middle of your cycle. I would wait to add anything alive. You can test daily if you want to watch your numbers change but what you are looking for is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and a timberline 20 to 80 on nitrate. Then you do a decent water change like 20% or so and check the numbers again. Ammonia and nitrite should stay at 0 but nitrate should come down a bit. You can then add a clean up crew. Expect diatoms or cyanobacteria or algae... or all 3. Then your nitrates will disappear. But you want to do at least 10% water changes at this point every week. Your nitrates will return but at a lower level when the ugly phase has passed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using TapatalkThat was supposed to say a number between instead of timberline

Woonkie
09/23/2017, 08:51 AM
Awesome thanks! I forgot to mention a couple key things

I added the live sand and added about 35 lbs live rock when I moved it last Sunday.

But he did have the tank running with the clown fish for about 2 weeks before I picked it up. So a total of about 3 weeks

Another question. Should I run my lights now to help grow some algae? Or should I leave them off

Maggie321
09/23/2017, 09:01 AM
Awesome thanks! I forgot to mention a couple key things

I added the live sand and added about 35 lbs live rock when I moved it last Sunday.

But he did have the tank running with the clown fish for about 2 weeks before I picked it up. So a total of about 3 weeks

Another question. Should I run my lights now to help grow some algae? Or should I leave them off

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThere is nothing in your tank that needs light right now so I would not run lights.

You are at a point in your cycle where it could complete over night or it could take another 3 months.

The live rock you added should help populate your other rock with good bacteria.

Do you have an ammonia source? A shrimp? Ghost feeding?

I kinda feel bad for the clown he had, I wouldn't add anything alive till your ammonia and nitrites are at 0. That is like breathing poison mustard gas to us. Both of those are poisonous for fish.

Woonkie
09/23/2017, 09:03 AM
Gotcha. Yeah. I agree thatís why I didnít bring the fish home with me. I want to wait till the water is right

Woonkie
09/23/2017, 09:04 AM
I donít think I have an ammonia source. Should I? Like I said the one piece of rock has some living green coral on it and some dead coral on it.

Woonkie
09/23/2017, 09:07 AM
Sorry that last post sounded rude. My apologies. Didn’t mean for it to.

Maggie321
09/23/2017, 09:12 AM
You didn't say anything rude. You're fine.

I would ghost feed, that is like feeding a non existent fish. Just a pinch of flake food a day (I used freshwater fish food).

You are feeding the bacteria so they populate the rock better.

Maggie321
09/23/2017, 09:16 AM
What are you wanting to have in your tank? If you want just fish and live rock, almost any light will do, if you are wanting corals, I would do a lot of research to be sure your light is sufficient before you buy any.

Also what water are you using? Tap? RO? RODI? Buying it from your lfs?

Woonkie
09/23/2017, 10:27 AM
What are you wanting to have in your tank? If you want just fish and live rock, almost any light will do, if you are wanting corals, I would do a lot of research to be sure your light is sufficient before you buy any.

Also what water are you using? Tap? RO? RODI? Buying it from your lfs?

Going to start with fish and maybe build up to a soft coral reef. I already have the life aquatic T5 light so Iím going to use that for the time being while I learn. I watched a video that someone said towards the end of the cycle I should put on the light to help grow algae to help kill the nitrites and nitrates.

Did a 7 gallon water change next week Iíll probably do a 14 gallon. I have 7 gallon jugs so thatís what Iím using.

Woonkie
09/23/2017, 10:28 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170923/53035264b7c210c567d38ce1096f52f6.jpg

Here it is by the way.

Woonkie
09/23/2017, 11:57 AM
So I shouldnít get any fish or clean up crew right now correct? Keep doing weekly water changes until my levels reach 0?

Maggie321
09/23/2017, 01:23 PM
So I shouldnít get any fish or clean up crew right now correct? Keep doing weekly water changes until my levels reach 0?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkLooks good! And yes I would wait till ammonia and nitrites are 0.

thomas.torode
09/23/2017, 02:48 PM
If nitrate and ammonia aren't detectable with API, it's cycled.

nereefpat
09/23/2017, 08:39 PM
If nitrate and ammonia aren't detectable with API, it's cycled.

Nitrite

Woonkie
09/23/2017, 10:21 PM
Nitrite is basically 0. Nitrates are around 20-30

So some snails and crabs then? Or should I get a hardy fish or 2 first?

shaginwagon13
09/24/2017, 02:58 PM

I always run the lights for 3 hours a day. I know a lot of people do not, I have never seen an issue.

I also run my skimmer throughout the cycle as well. Some more info can be found below.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1811857