PDA

View Full Version : Live rock preparation help w/pics


Augustx
09/23/2017, 11:03 AM
Hello all, I started bleaching out these live rocks for 4 days and they turn out as shown in the picture.

I power washed them and seems like they need another bleach.... My question is, what is the black stuff on the rocks? I can pull some off but can't pull most of them off. They are hard and stuck

Given the condition, will you guys recommend bleaching again to finish off the killing process?
PS. I'm not going to acid bath them.

Thank you!!

Augustx
09/23/2017, 11:04 AM
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5I9apn_7N0vSVRBOXZGUlcydms

Pictures here

Augustx
09/23/2017, 01:02 PM
https://preview.ibb.co/e8LXG5/IMG_20170923_094801.jpg (https://ibb.co/ggw6b5)
https://preview.ibb.co/nmuEUQ/IMG_20170923_094751.jpg (https://ibb.co/hOYV3k)

Augustx
09/23/2017, 01:13 PM
https://preview.ibb.co/e8LXG5/IMG_20170923_094801.jpg (https://ibb.co/ggw6b5)
https://preview.ibb.co/nmuEUQ/IMG_20170923_094751.jpg (https://ibb.co/hOYV3k)

line pics are probably easier.

StinkinTuna
09/23/2017, 01:34 PM
No pics are showing up for me.

Augustx
09/23/2017, 02:02 PM
https://preview.ibb.co/e8LXG5/IMG_20170923_094801.jpg (https://ibb.co/ggw6b5)
https://preview.ibb.co/nmuEUQ/IMG_20170923_094751.jpg (https://ibb.co/hOYV3k)

Reefpuck
09/23/2017, 03:06 PM
Pics didn't upload.

Augustx
09/23/2017, 10:35 PM
Let's try this again...
https://preview.ibb.co/e8LXG5/IMG_20170923_094801.jpg (https://ibb.co/ggw6b5)
https://preview.ibb.co/nmuEUQ/IMG_20170923_094751.jpg (https://ibb.co/hOYV3k)

Dmorty217
09/24/2017, 02:05 PM
I see all the pictures

flsalty
09/24/2017, 05:15 PM
The pics are there.

Where did the rocks come from?

Augustx
09/25/2017, 07:23 AM
Oh my, I guess I kept trying thinking something didn't go through but they were just pending mods approvals.


The pics are there.

Where did the rocks come from?

The rocks were taken out from a well running tank, the owner put them into a bucket with circulation but the pump failed and, in a day, everything on the rocks pretty much died off.

ssgss gogeta
09/25/2017, 07:47 AM
It looks fine my rocks when I treat them still keep some sort of color after not all come out white. Couple of questions though. . .

- what strength bleach did you use?
- did you have water movement in the container you had the rocks bleaching in?
- do you plan to lanthium chloride treat the rocks before using? If not you should
- nothing bad will live after being in bleach for 4 days so don't stress again


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Augustx
09/25/2017, 08:09 AM
It looks fine my rocks when I treat them still keep some sort of color after not all come out white. Couple of questions though. . .

- what strength bleach did you use?
- did you have water movement in the container you had the rocks bleaching in?
- do you plan to lanthium chloride treat the rocks before using? If not you should
- nothing bad will live after being in bleach for 4 days so don't stress again


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. 1:10 Ratio
2. No water movement - I guess I didn't want my water pump exposed to bleach because I worry that I wouldn't be able to use it again for clean water.
3. No I didn't plan to, so far from research, I only knew of the acid bath and the bleach method, let me research on this some more...
4. That's relieving to hear!

Thanks for your tips :)

ssgss gogeta
09/25/2017, 08:13 AM
1. 1:10 Ratio

2. No water movement - I guess I didn't want my water pump exposed to bleach because I worry that I wouldn't be able to use it again for clean water.

3. No I didn't plan to, so far from research, I only knew of the acid bath and the bleach method, let me research on this some more...

4. That's relieving to hear!



Thanks for your tips :)



That's probably where you went wrong you need water movement, I mean it still would have killed anything bad I'm pretty sure but wouldn't have worked as well without water movement. That's the good thing of bleach your rocks get bleached leave out in the sun for a few days all bleach is gone. Same with power head, rinse it leave in the sun or open air and all bleach is gone. I used the same pump for doing it. Left it stored used it again a year later to do another tanks rocks and worked fine so didn't get damaged. Mind you I did use an old crappy pump and leave it for bleaching rock and lanthium treating rock though.

The lanthium chloride will remove as much built up phosphate in the rocks as possible it's a very important part that gets left out by most and helps against rocks leaching phosphate too early down the track


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Augustx
09/25/2017, 08:33 AM
Thanks!

Do you know what the black dots are on the rock? When I look at dry rock from the stores, they don't have any of those black dots... They are hardened and difficult/impossible to remove by hard.

ssgss gogeta
09/25/2017, 10:06 AM
No idea man, something that attached that is now dead.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sde1500
09/25/2017, 10:09 AM
They should be fine to use now. Just to clarify though, since your title says live rock, these are clearly in no way live anymore. Very much dead.

Curious why you chose to bleach them?

Augustx
09/25/2017, 10:39 AM
They should be fine to use now. Just to clarify though, since your title says live rock, these are clearly in no way live anymore. Very much dead.

Curious why you chose to bleach them?

So I was buying all these rocks from a seller but the day before the deal, his pump failed and it totally stank up the whole bucket - effectively killing all the live on the rocks, leaving only dead organics to be decomposed.

He generously gave me these for free, but I would now have to clean the organics off them and re-seed them later with coraline algae if I wanted the purple back.

sde1500
09/25/2017, 11:25 AM
One day with just rocks and no circulation shouldn't cause much of a die off, I wouldn't have bleached them.

Augustx
09/25/2017, 12:46 PM
I think his pump actually burnt and it smelled really bad so he drained it and sealed the bucket....