PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the sand bed

JTL
09/23/2017, 04:08 PM
I have a very minimal amount of sand, maybe 1" on average. It does pile up in areas making it deeper. Anyway I don't use a suction vac, I simply blow the sand with a baster and cloud the water. I also use a filter sock during this cleaning. Seems to work, I am not getting any surface algae. Does this sound like a good way to clean the sand bed. I should add that I am only 2 months into this tank so it is still new, but so far no blooms or hair algae.

Nerayan
09/23/2017, 04:39 PM
Hi there. Sounds pretty good to me. I do the same during the first stage of my little cleaning regime.😁 I even use the syphoon to tumble the sand to get all the detritus out before my water change. How much livestock is in there atm?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

billdogg
09/23/2017, 04:58 PM
I have and use a Python Siphon every water change. I cannot imagine doing one without. It makes life so much easier.

JTL
09/23/2017, 05:10 PM
What size are you using? I am not interested in the water change system.

billdogg
09/24/2017, 08:11 AM
What size are you using? I am not interested in the water change system.

Are you talking Python Siphon? Get one with a tube long enough that you don't have to get you hands wet! I actually have a short one too - it's easier to get to some of the tight spots that way, but for 95% of the sandbed, my hands are dry.