PDA

View Full Version : Triton ICP.. High Zinc.. Advice needed.

Scubabum
09/23/2017, 03:52 PM
I have a 58 gallon mixed Reef that has been running for over 23 years. In the last couple of months I noticed my Coral was not looking as well as normal. Everything I test for at home was good and has been stable with the exception of low potassium. I sent off a Triton ICP test and it confirmed my low potassium along with EXTREMELY high Zinc. 91 g/l. I'm using Aquaforest Reef Salt, Component 1 2 3, and Aquaforest ABVE. My equipment is in pristine condition, no signs of rust or corrosion and I clean and service on a regular basis. I do not use lotions or creams on my skin. I do have a DIY screen top that has some corrosion but I'm not sure it contains zinc. I have a second tank, Red Sea Reefer 525XL that is 6 months old that I'm using the same products on and everything is doing well. Could be the levels have not risen enough to show negative signs. I plan on doing 15% water changes once a week as suggested by Triton. Any other suggestions or experience in dealing with this? Your advice and suggestions are greatly welcomed. Thanks in advance.

bertoni
09/24/2017, 12:13 AM
If there's any chance water might get from the screen top into the tank, I'd replace it. Other than that, the Triton tests are not particularly accurate with trace elements, as far as we can tell from testing. I might try adding a PolyFilter, if I was worried. It should remove zinc, although you might want to confirm that with the manufacturer. Fresh carbon will help remove metals that have combined with organics, as well.

Scubabum
09/24/2017, 04:32 AM
Thanks Bertoni. I removed the top and will replace it. I looked at the PolyFilter and it does not mention zinc. I will contact manufacture. Also looking at a product from Triton called Detox. Running Carbon and will perform several water changes.

Big E
09/24/2017, 05:35 AM
AF component 1 has zinc in it.

You may want to go to a dosing system that just doses alk and calc.

bertoni
09/24/2017, 11:20 PM
The Detox might well work, but I'd do some large water changes after using it. It might go a bit too far in removing metals.

I wish there was a more cost-effective way for us to get testing done for trace elements, but I haven't found anything all that cheap. Since you have one suspect parameter, you could consider getting a test done through enclabs.com, but it's not cheap.