PDA

View Full Version : adding 2 gals of distilled to 75 cause cloudyness?

antimatt3r
09/23/2017, 06:13 PM
Hey guys I knocked my 5 stage ro-di down on the floor and broke the membrane housing so im waiting on it from amazon, in the mean time running out of water I went and got 5 gal of distilled but only added two, after doing about a 10-15 gal water change, gfo change and a clean sock (200mu). I have a 75 display and about a 35 sump. I have GFO and started biopellets around 7.20-7.25 and only used about 1.5-2" of it in my phosban 150s are my reactors because they said to start low or you might get a white algae bloom i havent added any more yet. Anyway so I added the 2 gals of distilled without mixing any salt in, and I didnt just dump both in all at once i did like half a gallon at a time over 30-60 min approx. sooooooooooo in the morning and today my tank is pretty cloudy and the only thing I can think is either it was the distilled water somehow, or, the water change I did possibly was somehow contaminated? I have my ro-di in my basement and it does get some light sometimes possibly direct sunlight at times, but I try to keep it at least shaded from direct sunlight to inhibit growth inside there obviously, but I will fill a big garbage can with ro water and use it as needed, the water might be 3 weeks old by the time I use the last of it, should I always use fresh water?? The only other thing I did to try and combat the cloudyness is added a nice size bag of carbon pellets into my overflow not sure if its working or not yet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, any ideas would be appreciated! somehow after cleaning my overflow when i put the hose back into my sock its making a bubbling/kerchunking noise im guessing because of how the hose is routed/shaped, that could be causing a tiny bit of turbulence in the first chamber where i have my skimmer and possibly tossed up a little bit of detritus that was on the bottom there so I didnt have floss in that final bubble trap slot on the far other side of the sump just before the return so I also added floss there..... just trying to give as much info as possible, all levels were perfect last time I tested even though im having more algae on the glass than usual mostlikely from slacking on water changes. it looks like it might be clearing a bit but still anyone had this issue? thanks so much in advance for your help!:hb2:

GQuinn
09/23/2017, 07:18 PM
In the future I would not used distilled water. Some distilling processes can add copper to the distilled process. Although I do not think two gallons in a 75 would be a problem.

antimatt3r
09/24/2017, 06:36 AM
is copper not something commonly used in reef tanks?

also, if you heat water, evaporate it, re-condense it, (distill it) you leave behind all impurities I thought was the whole point of distilled..

well i got about 3 gals of tap water thats been sitting out overnite ill probably have to add before i get my ro back together

jmareef1022
09/24/2017, 07:08 AM
I always added distilled when I'm out of rodi with no problem and on a smaller tank .. Maybe something is spawning..

billdogg
09/24/2017, 07:54 AM
is copper not something commonly used in reef tanks?
Even trace amounts of copper are deadly to corals and inverts

also, if you heat water, evaporate it, re-condense it, (distill it) you leave behind all impurities I thought was the whole point of distilled..

You are correct, but copper is often used as a condenser for the steam

well i got about 3 gals of tap water thats been sitting out overnite ill probably have to add before i get my ro back together

If you have some Prime, adding it to the tap water can help neutralize any bad stuff

mluntz
09/24/2017, 09:30 AM
As long as you test your TDS and it comes up 0, distilled water is fine