PDA

View Full Version : Start my first tank

Marouette21
09/23/2017, 06:43 PM
Hello,
I want to be sure If I understand well how to begin my first saltwater tank. I have Fluval evo 13,5 gallons
1- I put good (RO/DI) fresh water in my tank and I start pump and heater. I add salt to have salinity of 1,024 or 1,025 and temp around 78-80.
2- When salt water is stable, I add live sand, base rocks and live rock (I think to put 10 lbs of base and buy 5 lbs of live rock). I start the skimmer and put my filtration media. I let that run many weeks, the time to make the amoniac/nitrite/nitrate cycle.
3- When the cycle is done, I cana dd my first invertebrates (probable stuff to clean alguae) and maybe 1 fish
4- IF all going well, I will be able to think to begin to add some easy corals
That make sense???

SAT
09/23/2017, 07:03 PM
That is an excellent summary of the process. Good luck!

nfrench2100
09/23/2017, 08:05 PM
Sounds good to me as well [emoji108] I too just recently started my first reef setup. Had only done FW before. The absolute #1 rule of thumb, DO NOT RUSH ANYTHING! Patience is key when doing saltwater. Monitor your levels likes it's your job and you're getting a paycheck for it and looking for a raise lol.

I filled my tank on 9-1-17. Mixed in the salt, aragonite and added 15lbs of LR. From there I waited. Checked parameters on a daily/every other day for the first 2 weeks. Never got much of an ammonia spike due to the fact that I started with all LR. The highest it got was MAYBE 1.5ppm.

9-14-17 started seeing my diatoms. By 9-18-17 my tank was COVERED in diatoms! Glass, rocks, sand, skimmer intake/outtake, all covered in brown diatoms. I didn't scrub the glass or do anything to remove them, just let them do there thing.

9-21-17 picked up my CUC. 5 Turbo Snails, 10 Red Leg Hermits, 1 Emerald Crab and 1 Serpent Star. That was around 6:30 pm Thursday night. (I did clean the glass with my nano flipper that night.) By 3:30 pm the next day, my tank looked absolutely stunning! These guys definitely did a great job at cleaning the diatoms. I mean my rocks and sand we're back to the pretty white condition they were on 9-1-17 went I first put them in

9-22-17 got my first coral. Orange Leptastrea. I love my LFS because they gave it to me for free! Told me they wanted to see if I could keep it alive for a week before I even thinking about adding anymore corals or fish.

Tonight, everything is looking great and water parameters are still perfect. So I say, follow the plan you've put in place for yourself, and you'll be just fine. It's damn near exactly how I did it. And remember! Take your time! Be patient! Read! Study! Learn! And then learn some more! Lol. This hobby is so much fun

Best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nereefpat
09/23/2017, 08:17 PM
Rock, then sand (doesn't have to be "live"), then water.

Also, you will need to add a source of nitrogen to start the cycle.

Mr. Eel
09/24/2017, 12:47 AM
Yea if you put sand in after water the water will be cloudy for like a week.

Marouette21
09/24/2017, 08:11 AM
I know it's not ideal to add sand after the waater but I already buy live sand and I suppose it's not like fresh water. I don't have a container big enought to prepare 13,5 gallons of salt water. It's why I decided to prepare the water first in the tank then add the live water.

DO the live sand could survive to a couple of hours in fresh water, time to add salt and mix?

SAT
09/24/2017, 12:57 PM
By "live sand", are you referring to a commercial package (e.g., Carib Sea) or from the ocean (e.g., from a live rock supplier)? The latter should definitely not be exposed to fresh water. I don't know if Carib Sea bacteria will tolerate freshwater or not.

How about mixing the water in a plastic trash can and then transferring it to the tank after all the salt is dissolved?

Marouette21
09/24/2017, 08:05 PM
I buy Caribsea Ocean direct Caribbean live sand

Like I don't have a lot of space in my house, I think to buy containers to make maybe 5 gallons of salt water at time. I need an other space to have fresh water too. So I will not be able to have 13,5 gallons of salt water ready at the same time. I will need to think to that. Maybe prepare 5 gallons of salt water. Put sand, dry rock and sand, then complete my water level before start pomp

Someone said I need a source of nitrogen to start the cycle. What is a good source of nitrogen? Do that need to be a fish or an invertebrate?

SAT
09/25/2017, 05:34 AM
If your live rock isn't completely cured it will contain plenty of extra nitrogen. Otherwise a cocktail shrimp works well. Just drop it in and let it rot.