PDA

View Full Version : Durso Herbie or Bean animal

Oceanavekid
09/23/2017, 10:55 PM
My synergy overflow should be here on Monday. Out of the three most popular methods Durso Herbie and Bean animal which one did you choose?
I'm leaning toward bean animal. I like having a back up should something fail. They're supposed to be pretty silent too

ca1ore
09/24/2017, 06:23 AM
Herbie has a backup; bean just has an extra one. Any siphon based overflow is going to be silent. Bean 'solves' a couple of potential problems with the herbie. Why you'd even consider a durso with that overflow I cannot fathom.

rtparty
09/24/2017, 08:39 AM
Herbie or Bean no question. Durso overflows should be left in the past and never touched again.

I've done multiple Herbie overflows and love them. Easy to setup and maintain. Just make sure your main drain has a strainer on it so nothing can get in the plumbing.

Joe0813
09/24/2017, 08:55 AM
durso is crap.... wish I plumbed my 180 another way.... its loud and annoying

Oceanavekid
09/24/2017, 09:18 AM
Herbie or Bean no question. Durso overflows should be left in the past and never touched again.

I've done multiple Herbie overflows and love them. Easy to setup and maintain. Just make sure your main drain has a strainer on it so nothing can get in the plumbing.

Might have to do a Herbie. I'll have the overflow and have one hole for return. No third hole to plumb. Can I drill another hole as a return to the tank and do the bean animal? Or is it not worth the hassle?

rtparty
09/24/2017, 09:25 AM
Might have to do a Herbie. I'll have the overflow and have one hole for return. No third hole to plumb. Can I drill another hole as a return to the tank and do the bean animal? Or is it not worth the hassle?Does your overflow have 2 or 3 holes?

If 2, go with Herbie and run your return line over the back of the tank or drill a hole in the tank to have your return go into.

If 3, you can do a bean animal with all three. Return will have to be like above. Or use 2 for Herbie and third for return if that's even possible.

Oceanavekid
09/24/2017, 10:13 AM
durso is crap.... wish I plumbed my 180 another way.... its loud and annoying

Does your overflow have 2 or 3 holes?

If 2, go with Herbie and run your return line over the back of the tank or drill a hole in the tank to have your return go into.

If 3, you can do a bean animal with all three. Return will have to be like above. Or use 2 for Herbie and third for return if that's even possible.

The synergy overflows come with three holes for pipes

EvenFurther
09/24/2017, 10:34 AM
Your not suppose to plumb the return thru the external back mount overflow box. The external box has three holes intended for a bean animal drain system. All three are drain holes.

The return should be over the top, or another separate hole in the tank.

RWEngineer
09/24/2017, 10:35 AM
The synergy overflows come with three holes for pipes

Why would you have to do a Herbie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SFish
09/24/2017, 11:28 AM
your not suppose to plumb the return thru the external back mount overflow box. The external box has three holes intended for a bean animal drain system. All three are drain holes.

+1

Oceanavekid
09/24/2017, 11:47 AM
Your not suppose to plumb the return thru the external back mount overflow box. The external box has three holes intended for a bean animal drain system. All three are drain holes.

Good to know

I don't have three holes in my sump

Right now I have one going to my sump and one in the back of the glass. I plugged the hole in the bottom of the tank so I could add the overflow box.gow would you utilize all three?