PDA

View Full Version : Heater in Weir?

tri4god
09/24/2017, 12:17 AM
I have an Eheim Jager 300w heater. The thing is huge and won't fit in the sump. Can I put it in my weir? I am not sure there is much waterflow in there, just at the top. thoughts?

SAT
09/24/2017, 06:19 AM
You want good water flow around a heater.

ca1ore
09/24/2017, 07:19 AM
There's more flow than you think. Should be ok unless the overflow drains down when the pump is off.

billdogg
09/24/2017, 07:37 AM
There's more flow than you think. Should be ok unless the overflow drains down when the pump is off.

^^^This^^^

It'll be just fine there as long as it stays wet.

MurphyLong
09/25/2017, 07:42 AM

...and chances are, if there's a power outage, it will turn off the heater too. I've considered putting my heater in my overflow too, since there's not enough room in my sump to do it functionally. It's in there all sideways, tied up in my chaeto.

ca1ore
09/25/2017, 09:17 AM
My perspective on this is that putting a heater in the overflow is an aesthetic foul; however, if you must do it just be certain that the overflow cannot drain down while the heater still operates. At best, that will destroy the heater (unless you use one that has a dry shut off), at worst it could damage the tank. If it were me, I would buy multiple, shorter heaters that would fit in the sump.

ca1ore
09/25/2017, 09:19 AM
...and chances are, if there's a power outage, it will turn off the heater too. I've considered putting my heater in my overflow too, since there's not enough room in my sump to do it functionally. It's in there all sideways, tied up in my chaeto.

Ok, but the pump can be off for other reasons than a broad power outage (which is why I did not say a power outage). I recall seeing a thread years ago where a heater in the overflow gradually melted a hole in the PVC stand pipe, overflow drained down, heater exploded and cracked the tank.

d0ughb0y
09/25/2017, 09:24 AM
would the heater be off if the ambient air temp is higher than the heater temp setting?

SAT
09/25/2017, 12:33 PM
would the heater be off if the ambient air temp is higher than the heater temp setting?

The thermostat for the heater needs to be submerged, in which case it's the water temperature, not the air temperature, that matters.

d0ughb0y
09/25/2017, 01:01 PM
The thermostat for the heater needs to be submerged, in which case it's the water temperature, not the air temperature, that matters.

I know that. and agree heater must always be submerged.

But in case the water in the overflow completely drains, wouldn't the heater turn off if the ambient is higher than the setting? the heater does not know or care if it is under water or not when sensor takes the temp reading :)

so perhaps if the house temp is set to say 78 and the heater set to 75, then it won't be a problem if overflow drains.

Matt, I know the room where your tank is gets direct afternoon sun, do you have an idea what the room temp is in the winter.