PDA

View Full Version : Duncan coral help please.

Alexmmix111
09/24/2017, 10:43 AM
So I bought this Duncan about 2 months ago from my lfs. All three heads opened up and were happy for about 1 month and then one polyp bailed and the others haven't been fully opening and I'm trying to figure out what's wrong. I've done water tests and it seems to be fine. Any help would be great. 380182

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garethwood
09/24/2017, 11:27 AM
Hi,
can you post your test results and then another set and another and so on so that the members can see a trend of fluctuations? unfortunately just having good test results isnt enough its consistency that matters more, not the magic numbers : )
also some info on your setup and anything you might be treating/ dosing / feeding.
Any changes or additions you may have made? these are all the questions you will be asked before anyone can offer any advice above a blind guess which wont be much help : )
Have you checked for unwanted attention after hours? get down at night and red light the coral in question you may have a pest problem?
the main reason for dumping good polyps is going to be stress from water conditions imo but lots of factors need ruling out.
good luck and i hope you can find the issue and save the coral..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Alexmmix111
09/24/2017, 11:42 AM
I dose the tank with reef fusion 1 and 2 once a week. I feed all my corals zoo plankton. My protein skimmer went down about 3 months ago and I've been saving to fix it. Right now I have some carbon and nitrate pads in the sump that I clean. I also have some ceramic media in there. All the other corals seem to be doing okay. It's just this one coral. I'll check for pests tonight.

Goss
09/24/2017, 01:57 PM
Based on what you have said so far your putting plankton in your tank but no true way to export the excess nutrients. Carbon shouldn't be run all the time in my experience as it has negative effects. The ceramic media is probably making it worse as its trapping up all the waste.

I would suggest water changes and either getting a skimmer asap or running a refugium

Alexmmix111
09/24/2017, 02:15 PM
I'm getting my skimmer going this week

mcgyvr
09/24/2017, 02:20 PM
Are you going to post your test results?

And you should give information about your tank..
What size, whats in it, how long its been setup,etc...,etc... etc..

You want answers but we need details and we don't read minds here..
The more details you give the better chance you will have of receiving an answer...

Scurvy Dawg
09/26/2017, 10:54 AM
So I bought this Duncan about 2 months ago from my lfs. All three heads opened up and were happy for about 1 month and then one polyp bailed and the others haven't been fully opening and I'm trying to figure out what's wrong. I've done water tests and it seems to be fine. Any help would be great. 380182

My duncan will close up for extended periods of time right before a new head pops up.