PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Reef

Myna
09/24/2017, 02:46 PM
Hi all,

Fairly new to the hobby. Here is my mixed reef and macro tank. Let me know what you think! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170924/d753d37848b53a9c5502130e075eeeaf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcgyvr
09/24/2017, 02:51 PM
Looks like a really nice softie/gorg tank..
Great job..

Myna
09/24/2017, 02:54 PM
Thank you! I was kinda nervous adding so many macros but it actually has been helping quite a bit with trates. I will be trimming some macros back a bit soon because there has been good growth on them.

mcgyvr
09/24/2017, 02:58 PM
So long as you stick with the more "display" macros they won't be an issue and can easily be trimmed (and removed for nutrient export) easily..
Just stay away from the annoying ones.. caulerpa,etc...

But yes macros are great for nutrient export/consumption and they can look good too..

Out of curiosity what nitrate/phosphate levels are you running at now?

Myna
09/24/2017, 03:10 PM
Phosphates have been barely 0.03ppm (salifert) and nitrates are between 0-5ppm (API)

Thanks. And yes I am steering clear of the caulerpa family. Even though some are so pretty! I kinda want a bit of green in there to balance out the reds. But haven't found anything that I like that would be considered safe. I just hope that my softies don't get irritated by all the macros in there.

Myna
09/24/2017, 03:13 PM
By the way, it's embarrassing to say but I was actually over 80ppm of nitrates before I added the macros. And my phosphate was at like 1.00ppm if I recall correctly.

mcgyvr
09/24/2017, 03:15 PM
Don't be embarrassed if they were high and you fixed that.... be proud..
Many can't do that...
But I'd bet it was more than the macros..

Having a tank FULL of corals is a great way to reduce nitrates ;)

Myna
09/24/2017, 03:29 PM
Thanks!! Your so awesome!!

FullBoreReefer
09/24/2017, 05:42 PM
Maybe the only thing to worry about now is them sucking all the nutrients out of the water making it to clean for them to survive. Heavy feedings will keep all inhabitants happy

on the spot
09/24/2017, 05:46 PM
...I will be trimming some macros back a bit soon because there has been good growth on them...

You know any other reefers around? If they have tangs you might score some frags or at least thanks and good wishes for some of that. Might even get store credit. Check first to be sure.

and nice tank.

Myna
09/24/2017, 08:51 PM
Maybe the only thing to worry about now is them sucking all the nutrients out of the water making it to clean for them to survive. Heavy feedings will keep all inhabitants happy

Thanks, yea I was thinking about that as well. I do pretty good feedings and I think that was part of the reason why my trates were so high at one point. But everything seems to be balanced out now. Hopefully it stays that way!

Myna
09/24/2017, 08:54 PM
You know any other reefers around? If they have tangs you might score some frags or at least thanks and good wishes for some of that. Might even get store credit. Check first to be sure.

and nice tank.

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of that. I don't know anyone personally in this area that is into reef tanks but I have a nice LFS and even a store that specializes in selling corals close by. I will give them a call and see if they're interested in clippings. Thanks!

jlmawp
09/24/2017, 09:32 PM
I hate to be the person that asks more work from a person who posts, but can you give a run-down of your macro algae in the tank, according to its position in the pic? I'm trying to choose a couple really nice macros and I like what I'm seeing here.

Myna
09/24/2017, 10:16 PM
Sure! I broke it down below:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170925/90df1f966495df2f69affa317e222a75.png

Bottom left: Botryocladia sp
Top left: Red Gracilaria
Middle: Galaxaura sp
Right: Gracilaria Hayi

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170925/4ecabaa332dcf1bb34e2ad57de322f83.png

Top & Bottom left: Bryothamnion sp
Left middle & right bottom: fine branching coralline
Top right: more Galaxaura sp

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170925/127392e5fe90329c5ee3c6018996b288.png

Bottom & middle left: Gracilaria Hayi
Top left: Bryothamnion sp
Right: Botryocladia sp

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170925/022c22de1e5c86503d7d848dba650095.png

Top left: Bryothamnion sp
Right bottom to top: Gracilaria Hayi, Botryocladia, and red Gracilaria

I bought all the macros online. Gulf Coast Ecosystems. I think they're site is www.live-plants.com

They have a pretty good selection. I bought some of the gorgonions and sponge from them as well.

jlmawp
09/25/2017, 12:00 PM
Wow, thanks so much. That's extremely helpful. I really like the Gracilaria Hayi. That's going in the tank for sure.

I have a 9-gallon nano, and one of my concerns is growth rate. Do most of these have slower growth that's easier to manage? Do you have to trim them regularly?

mcgyvr
09/25/2017, 01:22 PM

That won't happen.. They will basically self regulate.. Not enough food and they won't grow as much..
Macros ain't no dummies.. They know how to survive.. ;)

Myna
09/25/2017, 01:47 PM
Wow, thanks so much. That's extremely helpful. I really like the Gracilaria Hayi. That's going in the tank for sure.

I have a 9-gallon nano, and one of my concerns is growth rate. Do most of these have slower growth that's easier to manage? Do you have to trim them regularly?

No problem! Glad to help. If you have fish that eat algae then the gracilaria hayi will go fast without having to trim much. The botryocladia is really pretty too (it's the one that looks like little red grapes) and fish seem to stay away from it. Dragon tongue and dragons breath are both considered safe and beautiful as well. But my fish demolished them before they could even grow.

I mainly trim the botryocladia and the bryothamnion. But my foxface and tomini pick at all the other ones and do the trimming for me!

tjm9331
09/25/2017, 02:41 PM
I'd like to add some macro algae to my tank just for more diversity. How do you attach it to the rock once you get it?

do you glue it down? use epoxy?

Myna
09/25/2017, 06:31 PM
I'd like to add some macro algae to my tank just for more diversity. How do you attach it to the rock once you get it?

do you glue it down? use epoxy?

Yea I use epoxy. Sometimes you'll get a batch that's not one whole clump so what I did was just grab the loose pieces and epoxy them to the bunch and then once it dries, epoxy it to wherever you'd like. The epoxy is good cuz once it dries, if you change your kind on location, you can grab it and with a little tug it comes off the rock and you can put it where you'd like. But the loose pieces still stay with the bunch.
If you do get the macros from that site, just make sure you thoroughly look at them before bringing them in your tank cuz they have quite a few critters (some not good) hitchhiking.

dorry54
09/26/2017, 09:18 AM
nice tank!

Myna
09/26/2017, 12:34 PM
nice tank!

Thank you!