PDA

View Full Version : Aptasia

Ranchhand02
09/24/2017, 09:27 PM
I picked up a zoa frag a week ago and I currently have it in my QT tank. I think it may have one small piece of aptasia on it. I can not get a good picture of it because it is so small. What is the best way to get it off of the frag plug? I would like to remove it and not damage the zoas. Thanks.

glalex
09/24/2017, 10:15 PM
Aiptasia rx, or superglue it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfdan
09/24/2017, 11:33 PM
My process is:

1) Buy syringes with small tips at the pharmarcy
2) Mix up a thick kalk paste. I take a 2 oz plastic cup, put a tiny bit of kalk on the bottom, then slowly mix in RO/DI until it forms a paste. Just thin enough the syringe can suck it up, but more paste-like than watery.
3) Turn all the flow off
4) Use the tip of the syringe and carefully cover the aiptasia in kalk paste
5) Wait 30 minutes
6) Siphon away the mess

If all the flow is off you can be very precise with the kalk paste and make sure it hits the aiptasia but not the frag nearby. The kalk paste will melt the aiptasia, and after you suck away the mess it will be gone. Whether there are other aiptasia on there you can't see is another story, but that will kill the ones you see.

Ranchhand02
09/25/2017, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the advice. I plan on taking care of it tonight. Hopefully it will be the only one on the frag plug, but I am not holding me breath. I am really glad I QT this frag so hopefully I can keep it out of my main tank. What would happen in I tired to pull the aptasia off of the frag with tweezers? I assume that it would tear it and cause it to spread?