PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea Reefers

ironnie7i
09/24/2017, 11:00 PM
Hey guys,

I've been on the forum for some time reading and reading many articles and learning a lot about saltwater aquariums. I'm currently overseas working in Afghanistan but I'll finally be going home in December after months and months of the fiancée nagging to go home hahaha.
Anyways, I live in a condo building in downtown Miami and I am looking at getting either the Reefer 170 or 250. I really like the tank space and sump space on the 250 but I'm not sure if it's too big for a condo. Anyone have either one in an apartment?
I live on the 16th floor and I out that the structure of the floors are pretty sturdy and have many cross beams as it's a luxury building and I know that a few guys must have reef aquariums in this building as I've seen service vans on the premises in the past.
Thanks for the help guys!!

Xandernfs
09/25/2017, 07:25 AM
The PITA will be getting all the materials up to the 16th floor. The reefer250 will prolly end up being ~800lbs and the reefer170 will be around ~500lbs. These are just estimates on how much they will weigh. Either way, it should not be an issue.

ironnie7i
09/25/2017, 08:17 AM
The PITA will be getting all the materials up to the 16th floor. The reefer250 will prolly end up being ~800lbs and the reefer170 will be around ~500lbs. These are just estimates on how much they will weigh. Either way, it should not be an issue.

Thanks for the info. We have a service elevator so it shouldn't be too bad. I think i'm going to order the 250. I'll either go with TBS live rock.

Xandernfs
09/25/2017, 09:04 AM
Cool man! My reefer 250 is going to be delivered this weekend.

Papermonkeys
09/25/2017, 01:35 PM
Also a new member of the 250 hype train haha. I waited until I moved into a more permanent location before setting up a SW setup. I've tried to maintain a 40B and now 55g FW tank, and it's always tedious to move.
Anyways super happy with my Reefer, and you would probably be stoked with either!

allendehl
09/27/2017, 01:13 PM
Hi,

I just received my 350 a few days ago and that thing is heavy. I'm not sure if the delivery service would take it to your floor as they say it is a curb side delivery. If they don't you better make arrangements for a hand forklift or you will not be able to get it up there. It comes all wrapped in a wooden pallet. Look:
https://i.imgur.com/p5KEelv.jpg

xCry0x
10/02/2017, 02:12 PM
Ask your fiance, don't ask us.

That said, it depends on how big your condo is and if you have space or not. I think most people would say bigger is generally better -- but I know I personally spent my first 5 years with a nano until I bought a house. No regrets, limited space and had to move it twice.

rkpetersen
10/02/2017, 02:42 PM
I'm not sure if the delivery service would take it to your floor as they say it is a curb side delivery.

I bought my Reefer 450 from an lfs. I paid them to delivery the tank and sump and put them in place, after I took the stand home and assembled it myself. Money well spent, I could never have done it myself or even with a friend. They used these amazing industrial suction cup handles that made the process much easier.