PDA

View Full Version : Algae Reactor and Biocube 29

immortl
09/25/2017, 02:41 AM
I have an older Oceanic Biocube 29 and am going to put an Algae Reactor into the mix.

The middle chamber is currently occupied by an InTank media basket and skimmer. The 1st chamber has a heater, and the 3rd chamber has my circulation pump and ATO.

I am trying to decide if I should use a submersible pump for the reactor and if so, should I place it in the first chamber, or the 3rd (on top of the circulation pump). The most room is in the 1st chamber, but then unfiltered water potentially with lots of suspended particulate (when it's 'turkey baster hurricane season' will go up into the reactor. I am not sure if this would be a bad idea or not? Does anyone have any thoughts?

I'm also considering an external pump, something along the lines of the EcoTech Vectra S1. Seems to me like that might work well and I can put the pump down in the stand along with the reactor. I like being able to adjust the flow rate to what I need with this pump. And maybe, if I wanted to run any other reactors, I could run them in series and this or the next larger pump would provide enough flow? Can you run reactors in series like that?

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Has anyone done anything similar and have any lessons learned to share?

Thanks,
Joe