PDA

View Full Version : Air Pump and Airstone

term_paint
09/25/2017, 12:07 PM
Does anyone run one in their reef tank. I have heard different things and was trying to find out do this or not and maybe a suggestion if it is a good idea as to what pump for a 75 gallon. Thanks.

mcgyvr
09/25/2017, 01:15 PM
Low oxygen levels can be a problem in some tanks.. (If I had to guess I'd say very..very..very few)

In general as long as you have a skimmer or a powerhead creating any sort of ripple at the surface or a canister filter or anything then low oxygen levels shouldn't be a problem..

So in general I will say that no and airstone/pump is not needed at all on a tank..

jayball
09/25/2017, 01:24 PM
I use an airlift sponge filter on my quarantine tank and I have to clean the salt creep every couple days when it is running. You could not pay me enough to hook up a air stone in my reef, just make sure you have enough water movement and the surface is not stagnant.

smatter
09/25/2017, 02:06 PM
I have had tanks that solely used large air pumps and bubbles for flow. A tight cover is a must or the salt creep would be a nightmare. As has been mentioned already, adequate surface agitation is usually sufficient. Most of the gas exchange occurs at the air/water interface.

soulpatch
09/25/2017, 03:34 PM
I am likely going to run a small airstone under my return inlet for a few minutes each night to do nano bubbles and aid in getting debris to the sump/skimmer