PDA

View Full Version : 300 gallon stocking list

afm32607
09/25/2017, 02:03 PM
Recently upgraded from a 120 to a 300 gall system (6' x 2.5' x 3') and now I get to buy more fish.

My current list is:
1) Pair of Occ.
2) Black Tang
3) Potter's Angel fish
4) Linetatus (sp) Wrasse

Fish I was thinking of adding (not necessarily in any order):
1) Hippo tang
2) Flame Angel
3) Goldflake angle
4) Starry Blenny
5) Rhomboid Wrasse
6) 10-15 Blue/Green Chromis
7) Long nose Hawkfish or flame hawkfish
8) Copper banded butterfly

Any thoughts on this list? Is that too many algae eating fish for one tank?

As a note there is not much live rock in the display, maybe 150-200 lbs spread between two islands going 18 inches and 11 inches high, so there is a lot of open space.

I also plan on adding the larger angel last (or simultaneously with the copper band).

fishsuse29
09/25/2017, 04:00 PM
That seems fine to me and not too many algae eaters as the starry won't eat much if any alage in my experience.

If you do a copper band I would add it early as they are shy/timid eater so it will be asked to spot feed it in the beginning when there are less fish around

jda
09/25/2017, 04:02 PM
The chromis will likely dwindle down to just a few. If you are Ok with the possibility that all of those angels might nip at corals or that a hawk might eat ornamental shrimp, then it looks fine. Neither are for-sure, but it is possible.

McPuff
09/26/2017, 06:22 AM
I don't understand why everyone gets hippo tangs. Just my opinion but I've never been a fan... and they get huge.

Otherwise, I like your list. :0)

MrsReefK
09/26/2017, 07:14 AM
I don't understand why everyone gets hippo tangs. Just my opinion but I've never been a fan... and they get huge.

Otherwise, I like your list. :0)

They do get huge, have to have the right tank for them. I love the colors though, always have. Even prior to nemo movies, haha. We have a 3.5" hippo in QT right now and it's stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

afm32607
09/26/2017, 09:29 AM
Hippo tangs have fantastic colors and are energetic swimmers, i figure at 300 gallons the tank would be big enough for one.

If I do put reef things in the tank it will be fast growing coral (xenia or gsp) or ones that can care for themselves, like nems. The fish are the stars in this tank, I have a 75 reef tank with coral the size of footballs and people look at the 'nemo' in awe....

I have heard that about chromis, fighting until there is just a few. Is there anything I can do? I have also read in larger groups +10 and in odd numbers long term success is better, I do not like the idea of them fighting to the death a la Highlander. Any alternative fishes that school/shoal and are peaceful to others? Maybe those dark grey/green dart fish??

Also as to the copperband. I had a much smaller tank at one point and was successful at keeping a copperband for years. I added a mystery wrasse to the tank and the poor copperband stopped eating, while it may have been the tank size I was thinking I would put the copperband in last.

afm32607
09/26/2017, 09:42 AM
Also any worries that the dwarf angels will fight each other? Considering the relatively small amount of rock I have?

m0nkie
09/26/2017, 05:34 PM
FYI Gem tangs are on HEAVY discount.. you can find them easily for $700. pretty cool addition. they are hardy too. should be fine with a black

WLachnit
09/26/2017, 06:02 PM
FYI Gem tangs are on HEAVY discount.. you can find them easily for $700. pretty cool addition. they are hardy too. should be fine with a black

Yeah...I second that. And they are absolutely beautiful.

Dmorty217
09/26/2017, 06:10 PM

True but the firesale on Gem tangs the last 2 years makes them less rare and desirable since everyone has them now. They are the most desirable Zebrasoma though. To the OP 12 fish in a 300g is a great stocklist

afm32607
09/27/2017, 03:15 PM
Thanks

I love watching the fish swim but when there it too much fighting it stresses me out. If I were to add any more fish to the list it would be small ones just to add some more movement but not competition (like citron gobies, midas blennies, firefish etc) They may get lost in a big tank but it's like a reward for looking at the tank.

I would love a gem tang, but I figured the color similarity with the black would make mixing them a bad idea.