PDA

View Full Version : Red Lined Wrasse (Halichoeres biocellatus)

James Hobbs
09/25/2017, 02:40 PM
Just looking for anyone with any experience with these fish as I'm looking to get one, but I cant find much online about them. Any information would be a great help, thanks!

nereefpat
09/25/2017, 03:35 PM
This isn't much, but it might help a little: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/halichoeres.htm

It should be a great fish. I would suspect it would have similar behavior and requirements to the yellow, melanurus, vrolik's, etc.

A sand bed would be needed.

James Hobbs
09/25/2017, 05:04 PM
That link is great thanks! how deep does the sand bed have to be roughly?

nereefpat
09/26/2017, 07:43 AM
Halichoerus wrasses sleep in the sand bed. I would give it a couple inches.

James Hobbs
09/26/2017, 10:37 AM
thanks! have you kept one of the Halichoerus wrasses before, if so which one?

nickp87
09/26/2017, 11:30 AM
Lovely looking wrasse.

I keep Halichoeres melanurus which looks to be very similar in care, as said they do need a sand bed.

Mine is a model citizen with the stock that was already in the tank, but it will kill any new shrimp or snails i try to add to the tank if not kept busy.

So far it has eaten a few turbos and i large pistol shrimp.

sde1500
09/26/2017, 11:51 AM
thanks! have you kept one of the Halichoerus wrasses before, if so which one?

I have a H. Melanurus. It is overall very well behaved, though didn't take too kindly to a fairy wrasse I added at the same time as it. I suspect it's bullying is the reason the fairy eventually jumped and turned to jerky. Other than that, its great. Even gets pushed around a bit if it strays too close to other fish's territory.

nereefpat
09/26/2017, 12:17 PM
chrysus.

Until recently I had a Coris gaimard that was a sand sleeper too, although a much bigger wrasse. It was content even with its head and tail exposed.

James Hobbs
09/26/2017, 01:14 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys! I also forgot to mention that my tank will be around 50 US gallons when/if I add this fish, would a melanurus be okay in this sized tank? Also one of the tank mates will be a purple fire fish, is this fish going to be too timid around any of the Halichoeres wrasse?