PDA

View Full Version : Moving a reef tank?

Bunnylicked
09/25/2017, 03:55 PM
So after years of not having a reef tank, I am going to be buying a full reef setup off craigslist this week. The tank is a 24 gallon bowfront, and according to the previous owner, it has been established for 6 years. It has a mix of mushrooms, soft corals, hard corals, and invertebrates, as well as a clownfish.

Since the only time I can pick it up is a weekday evening, it is likely a 30-45+ minute drive from my house. I've moved tanks and fish before, but not marine, and I haven't transported them such a long distance. Does anyone have any tips for transporting the livestock and live rock, etc. without killing the corals or overly disrupting the cycle?

SAT
09/25/2017, 03:59 PM
Get some battery operated air pumps and airstones to keep oxygen flowing.

If there is a deep sand bed, either leave it alone or discard it entirely.

mcgyvr
09/26/2017, 04:49 AM
24G is pretty darn easy because its light enough for 2 guy to muscle into a suv..

Just drain some water down and add the bubbler just in case..

nereefpat
09/26/2017, 07:39 AM
Not a long trip at all. Fish and corals are regularly transported by Fed Ex.

I would get a few buckets with lids to transport water, rock, and livestock. I wouldn't worry about aerating.

thegrun
09/26/2017, 01:56 PM
Do not resuse the old sand, get dry sand and wash it well before the move to remove the fines (dust). I would have 15 gallons of premade saltwater on hand, but try to use as much of the clean water from the existing tank as possible to reduce the shock of different water chemistry on the corals. As you remove water from the existing tank fill 5 gallon buckets 2/3 of the way with water, them place the live rock in the buckets. Fill one or two buckets half way for the fish (no rocks). Once back at your house first place the rocks, fill half way with water then add the sand.