PDA

View Full Version : Holes in top of stand with rimless aquarium

Quick27
09/25/2017, 08:48 PM
Hey guys,

I purchased a used rimless aquarium for a good price recently to start up down the road. The aquarium is built with 10mm glass and has an overflow on the left side of the tank with matching 4"x4" square cut out in the top of stand. The spot I want to place the aquarium would be against a wall on the right of the aquarium and the overflow would be front and center when walking into the room, kind of an eye sore. My plan is to remove the overflow box, plug the 2 bulkheads and relocate the overflow to the right side of the tank. However, this will require me to make another 4"x4" cut in the right side of the top of the stand. Would a rimless aquarium be okay with cutouts on both sides of the stand like this or will it need more support? The stand is only 30"x18" so it feels like a lot of material missing to me.

Any input is appreciated.

der_wille_zur_macht
09/26/2017, 04:28 AM
Can you provide a photo of the stand and/or a description of its materials and construction?

Does the edge of the aquarium sit on the stand, or over the hole?

der_wille_zur_macht
09/26/2017, 04:32 AM
Barring that, I would cut a piece of 3/4 plywood the same size as the top, glue it on, paint/stain/trim to match, and then cut your holes where you want them. This would cover the existing hole and reinforce the top.

Make sure you seal any cut edges to keep the wood from getting wet.

Quick27
09/26/2017, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the input. I will try to find time to upload a picture this evening. The stand is laminated MDF with a fake grain finish. It would definitely be hard to match with a piece of plywood which is why I was hoping I may not have to. Hopefully the pictures will help make sense of it.

der_wille_zur_macht
09/26/2017, 06:45 PM
Depending on the construction on the inside of the stand, you could laminate the bottom of the current top with the plywood, if you could get it tight in against the corners or framing inside the stand. It doesn't need to bear weight, just add stiffness. Another alternative might be to just run some beams (you could use slices of 2x4 even) along the underside of the top near the holes. Again, you probably don't need to bear weight, just add stiffness.