PDA

View Full Version : Sand Dwelling Anemone Size Question

Sig32
09/26/2017, 07:31 AM
I have a 65 gallon mixed reef and I would like to add a sand dwelling anemone and perc/osc clowns. From what I have read, my first choice is the H. Malu due to its small size. I have yet to see one locally though.

My question is, how much would an H. Crispa or LTA grow if it was never fed? I've read what their max sizes are and they're way too big for my tank. I have also read that they don't "really" grow either if they're not fed. If, for example, one was purchased at a size of 4", how big would it get and over what period of time?

WatDatThing
09/26/2017, 07:50 AM
I have seen a 12" LTA. The owner said he had it for 6 years.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Cliving1
09/26/2017, 08:54 AM
I think it does depend on feeding. There was a time when I kept feeding my haddoni all the time. Now that I have slowed down it has not grown.

Sig32
09/26/2017, 12:10 PM
I have seen a 12" LTA. The owner said he had it for 6 years.

Do you happen to know if he fed his LTA or what size it was when he first got it?

Cliving1, in your experience, do you think that your Haddoni would have remained the same size it was when you got it had you not fed it?

WatDatThing
09/26/2017, 02:03 PM
Do you happen to know if he fed his LTA or what size it was when he first got it?

Cliving1, in your experience, do you think that your Haddoni would have remained the same size it was when you got it had you not fed it?He got it about 4" and he fed it occasionally. He didn't have a set schedule.

OrionN
09/28/2017, 07:27 AM
Not feeding is the key. H. crispa (not a sand anemone) and M. doreensis will get too big if grow well. If you don't feed them they they will grow very slowly if any.

Host anemones that stay on the sands are H. aurora, M. doreensis, S. hadonni. All can be keep small if you don't feed them. They don't need feeding to say healthy, however they can eat even if you don't actually feed them, especially Doreensis and Haddoni. These two are fish eater and are capable of capture and eat fish in the tank. Haddoni are more likely than Doreensis to eat fish in your tank. The rest can certainly capture fish food and eat them.

IME, Doreensis need deeper sand bed than other sand anemones to be happy, at least 4 inches.

Sig32
09/28/2017, 07:50 AM
OrionN, I believe that the H. Malu is the best choice due to size, hosting ability and that it can stay in the sand, would you agree?

If so, what would your second recommendation be for an alternative anemone?

OrionN
09/28/2017, 08:00 AM
What kind of clowns do you want to keep?

Sig32
09/28/2017, 10:45 AM
Either an Ocellaris or Percula.

OrionN
09/28/2017, 08:42 PM
Malu would be fine, most colorful would be a Haddoni. Percula and Ocellaris will likely go into both. Red or Purple Doreensis would be nice too.

Sig32
09/29/2017, 05:17 AM
Malu would be fine, most colorful would be a Haddoni. Percula and Ocellaris will likely go into both. Red or Purple Doreensis would be nice too.

So even though the Haddoni and Doreensis has a max size much larger than the Malu, if I purchased one around 4" and never fed it, it would stay small? I know it will still grow some just because of light, but it would be very little and over a many years? I just don't want to end up with a dinner plate size anemone in a few months or a couple of years.

OrionN
09/29/2017, 06:14 AM
IME anemone will not grow unless I target feed them or if they eat one of the fish. Otherwise event with exceptional light they won’t grow much at all. My tank never have detectable nitrates so I don’t know what happen in reasonably high nitrates condition