PDA

View Full Version : Are these rotifers? If not, what are they???

RAIDERJ
09/26/2017, 12:41 PM
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cV3keeZMbEZdGO3o1

I've been trying to positively identify these guys but am not having the best luck. They do look like a picture I found online, but most websites say that rotifers are smaller than pods which is definitely not the case here. I have a lot of these all over my rock, sand and glass, as well as pods all over. I'd like to try and keep a mandarin if possible and would like to know if these would sustain one. More importantly, I'd just like to know WHAT they are.

mcgyvr
09/26/2017, 01:01 PM
Flatworm..

Possibly the
Flatworm - Convolutriloba sp.

thegrun
09/26/2017, 01:02 PM
Those are flatworms. I can't be sure of the species, at best some are just a nucence as they cover Corals and glass, but many will eat coral.

RAIDERJ
09/26/2017, 01:11 PM
Well that's not good. All of my corals are safe and have been for months so it looks like they are just a nuisance for now. Is there any way to get rid of them? Is there anything that eats them?

mcgyvr
09/26/2017, 01:17 PM
"Flatworm exit" works great provided you follow the instructions exactly and siphon out what you can before treatment..

many times flatworm populations explode in a new tank but go away as the tank matures more..

Various wrasses will eat them too along with spotted mandarin dragonetes and a blue velvet nudibranch

Freshwater dips too

RAIDERJ
09/26/2017, 01:19 PM
I was just starting to read up on them. I may try a six lined wrasse and/or a spotted mandarin along with manual removal. Thanks for the help. Has anyone here had luck with the above mentioned fish eating the flat worms?

thegrun
09/26/2017, 01:31 PM
Flatworm Exit would be my recommendation although I would use it at 1.5 times the recommended dosage. A six line wrasse may be trading one problem for another as they often get very aggressive and will kill other fish as they mature, particularly in a tank under 100 gallons.

billdogg
09/26/2017, 01:37 PM
I used FWE with little success. What did the trick for me was a pair of Blue Star Leopard Wrasses. Within days they cleaned up my 120g DT and now cruise the reef daily looking for pests to eat. As an added bonus, they are very peaceful towards other fish, and happen to be stunning to look at.

RAIDERJ
09/26/2017, 04:04 PM
Does it have to be a Blue Star variety, or will a basic Leopard Wrasse do the trick? I don't recall ever seeing any Blue Stars at any of my LFS's.

mcgyvr
09/26/2017, 04:53 PM
A regular Leopard Wrasse should do the trick too..
I love mine.. Great fish.. creepy how it sleeps in a sac of its own mucus in the sand/under a rock though.. neat as heck but creepy..

And the internal time clock on them is nothing sort of amazing.. It puts itself to bed each night with 1 minute repeatability ..

billdogg
09/26/2017, 05:35 PM
Does it have to be a Blue Star variety, or will a basic Leopard Wrasse do the trick? I don't recall ever seeing any Blue Stars at any of my LFS's.

Johnike has a pair of Black Star Leopards that have done the same for him so I would guess any will work just fine

A regular Leopard Wrasse should do the trick too..
I love mine.. Great fish.. creepy how it sleeps in a sac of its own mucus in the sand/under a rock though.. neat as heck but creepy..

And the internal time clock on them is nothing sort of amazing.. It puts itself to bed each night with 1 minute repeatability ..

Mine are out and about until about 3 minutes before lights out. EVERY night. And about 5 minutes after lights come on, they come out to hunt.

Get a pair of smallish females and let one become the male. It will take anywhere from a couple months to a year or so, but it's really cool to watch the transformation.

By far my favorite fish.

homer1475
09/27/2017, 05:48 AM
Love my leopard, great little hunter. Mine also has that amazing internal clock. You could literally set your watch to her. Every day 2 minutes after lights on shes out cruising looking for breakfast. 3 minutes before the lights go out she's no where to be found.

I thought I had lost her but found her living in my overflow for nearly a week with no sand to sleep in, yet she was still very fat and happy. Even happier to get out of the overflow and sleep in the sand again, but she was no worse for the wear.

hkgar
09/27/2017, 02:41 PM
Don't do a 6-line. They are mean. Yellow wrasse does good.

JTL
09/27/2017, 03:30 PM
A regushould do the trick too..

LA says they do better in groups of three or more and also say "expert" only. Do you just have a single?

hkgar
09/27/2017, 04:28 PM
Love my leopard, great little hunter. Mine also has that amazing internal clock. You could literally set your watch to her. Every day 2 minutes after lights on shes out cruising looking for breakfast. 3 minutes before the lights go out she's no where to be found.

I thought I had lost her but found her living in my overflow for nearly a week with no sand to sleep in, yet she was still very fat and happy. Even happier to get out of the overflow and sleep in the sand again, but she was no worse for the wear.

Which Leopard do you have? LA has four types. Black, Choat's Red, Blue Star and Kuiter's