PDA

View Full Version : Hair Algae??

Wet Sleeve
09/26/2017, 05:18 PM
i've been running into some nuisance hair algae lately in my 40B sps only system I've got 15-20 snails 2 algae blenny's but their not working at it very hard...

i'm not sure of the cause, i suspect maybe the light, i had a black box 165w over it and never had a trace of algae and now i've put a XR30 to compare growth rates/spread etc, whites are on about the same as the others, the sunrise and sunset mode stay on quite a bit more but i don't suspect its that. i have them at 85% intensity.. they were already used to having intense LED's and experienced no burning/Bleaching.

Perimeters:

Salinity: 1.025
CA: 460
ALK: 8.6
MG: 1230 - will be adding MG to my dosing pump in the next day or two
Phosphate: 0.03
Nitrate: 0

all Salifert test kits.

i was running a fuge in my ESHOPPS sump but i was getting allot of algae in the fuge sometimes ciano and found it was starting to make its way to the display, i've shut it down about 2 weeks ago. since i really didn't need the nutrient export right now..i have an oversized skimmer and bare bottom, 50% WC a month.

i was thinking maybe a diatom bloom from the superior lighting but i'm second guessing.. thoughts/opinions?

mcgyvr
09/26/2017, 05:22 PM
A tank without some algae or another is an unhappy tank IMO..

you had a fuge and it was where your bit of algae was located vs being in the display.. now you took that down and voila.. algae in the display.. seems simple to me ;)

Start the fuge back up.. Thats one of the reasons for a macro fuge.. To give the algae a place to grow/do well so it stays there and out of the display tank..

Wet Sleeve
09/27/2017, 02:56 PM
A tank without some algae or another is an unhappy tank IMO..

you had a fuge and it was where your bit of algae was located vs being in the display.. now you took that down and voila.. algae in the display.. seems simple to me ;)

Start the fuge back up.. Thats one of the reasons for a macro fuge.. To give the algae a place to grow/do well so it stays there and out of the display tank..

went to the LFS today and seen a 1" fox face and i was tempted by it however i decided to go with a pincushion urchin instead and added a small clump of cheato back in the fuge