PDA

View Full Version : My Fish Hate Mysis Shrimp?

Xxero
09/26/2017, 06:30 PM
I stopped buying frozen Mysis shrimp a long time ago because my fish just didn't seem to go for them. I purchased a pack out of curiosity over the weekend, and...nope! They still won't eat them. Well, with the exception of a Starry Blenny, but he's a little piggy.

I always hear of Mysis shrimp being a "goto" food source, but my fish seem to hate them. Anybody else experience this? :fun5:

rhinonm
09/26/2017, 07:46 PM
no...never been an issue. Its the staple of my feedings. I blend Pe Mysis and raw shrimp together and it all gets gobbled up. I have many angels, tangs and clowns.

ReefGuy
09/26/2017, 08:02 PM
Maybe different brands? I read somewhere Hikari and PE mysis have higher nutritional content than others. PE too big for my small fishes. But they attack Hikari and are fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lsufan
09/26/2017, 08:11 PM
The only fish I have ever had that didn't love mysis is a mandarin. It's pretty much all of my fishs favorite. I mix together rods, reef frenzy & mysis & they go after the mysis first. I use pe on my big tank & hikari on my smaller tank with smaller fish because the pe mysis is to big

Xxero
09/26/2017, 11:28 PM
Maybe I will try blending the Mysis. I add it in with Brine shrimp and seafood mixes, but my fish actually avoid the Mysis! Weird.

alton
09/27/2017, 04:58 AM
Try mixing in Spiralina Brine. Or just switch to LRS Herbavore or reef frenzy, more food and less water

McPuff
09/27/2017, 05:41 AM
Try mixing in Spiralina Brine. Or just switch to LRS Herbavore or reef frenzy, more food and less water

Agree! With mysis you have to thaw it and then rinse it. With LRS, you can just drop it in some warm water, let it thaw, stir it, and then dump it in. My fish go crazy for that stuff. I switched from Reef Frenzy to Herbivore Frenzy because there is more nori in there and my fish (tangs especially) love the nori. Still, there's plenty of meaty items in there too for my wrasses and other species. And the tangs eat that too, of course.

Xxero
09/27/2017, 06:48 AM
This stuff?
https://i.imgur.com/YlDK3hW.png

I've never seen it sold at any of my LFS or Petco's...Is it only available online? And it looks like it's about $20 per pack. Holy crap! :eek1:

ktownhero
09/27/2017, 06:49 AM
That's weird, Mysis have always been a tank favorite for every tank I've had from about 1996 to today lol. I like keeping a pack of PE mysis around even though I do rinse it. It's not that big of a deal to do. I would say that if I had to choose between PE mysis and Reef Frenzy, I'd just use Reef Frenzy. No rinsing and has a nice mixture of stuff. Fortunately, I don't have to choose and use both :)

FoxFace Fish
09/27/2017, 07:01 AM
My hypothesis is they are just stupid like small children who will not eat vegetables that are good for them your fish are just stupid and will not eat what is good for them XD

Xxero
09/27/2017, 07:12 AM
My hypothesis is they are just stupid like small children who will not eat vegetables that are good for them your fish are just stupid and will not eat what is good for them XD

I don't even know what to say to that. :lmao:

jayball
09/27/2017, 09:41 AM
This stuff?
https://i.imgur.com/YlDK3hW.png

I've never seen it sold at any of my LFS or Petco's...Is it only available online? And it looks like it's about $20 per pack. Holy crap! :eek1:

To be honest it is worth it, it is packed with a diverse blend of food and you are not paying for water. you can cut the cubes much smaller than you are used to using. I chop a hunk off of it and dice 2-3 weeks worth of food of of it and keep the rest triple wrapped in the back of the freezer(a flat pack lasts months so I have to take care to wrap it well or it could get freezerburnt). I would skip the herbivore frenzy unless you are stocked heavy with tangs and angels though. I use reef frenzy or fish frenzy.

http://www.larrysreefservices.com/where-to-buy-lrs.html

mako61
09/27/2017, 10:14 AM
I asked my local fish store to get LRS and they did :-) I use the nano reef frenzy and my fish love it.

I have a thick hard plastic cutting board I put it in the freezer for a couple hours and then quickly cut the whole package into squares on that. Works great! Then the family can put food in for me easily.

slay
09/27/2017, 10:37 AM
I have a big old pitbull of a Maroon clown who chews on them and spits them out, as if registering personal disgust. Perhaps it's because she's taken to the taste of human flesh (mine!) instead...

I've put other fish in with her that used to love them, notably some Anthias, and they seemed to take note and stopped eating them too. I thought it was the package, so I bought a new one, same result, then I thought, perhaps this brand/lot is bad so I went from PE to Hikari. No dice.

5-6" long, nearly 2" fat maroon clown that draws blood will daintily munch away on frozen spirulina brine, but give her a more suitably sized bite and she rejects it.

adeebm
09/27/2017, 12:47 PM
What brand are you using? Even the pickiest fish I've had come around to mysis before anything else. I have noticed smaller fish won't always go for PE mysis(too big) but Hikari works well for them. Try mixing with selcon or garlic to get them used to it.

Kies1
09/27/2017, 04:34 PM
I find my fish like hikari much better

Lsufan
09/27/2017, 06:03 PM
It may just be because they aren't used to it. I notice my fish usually don't take to new food at first. They usually go after what they are used to. It may take a couple tries before they realize that it's good.

smatter
09/28/2017, 09:37 AM
I always wondered about Mysis since they are freshwater. It's like feeding guppies or bloodworms.

adeebm
09/28/2017, 12:49 PM
I always wondered about Mysis since they are freshwater. It's like feeding guppies or bloodworms.

PE mysis are freshwater from Canada. Hikari are supposed to be marine, though I couldn’t find a source on that. They both have roughly the same nutritional profile.

hkgar
09/28/2017, 01:28 PM
To be honest it is worth it, it is packed with a diverse blend of food and you are not paying for water. you can cut the cubes much smaller than you are used to using. I chop a hunk off of it and dice 2-3 weeks worth of food of of it and keep the rest triple wrapped in the back of the freezer(a flat pack lasts months so I have to take care to wrap it well or it could get freezerburnt). I would skip the herbivore frenzy unless you are stocked heavy with tangs and angels though. I use reef frenzy or fish frenzy.

http://www.larrysreefservices.com/where-to-buy-lrs.html

My tangs and Rabbitfish go through a large Romaine lettuce leaf and 1/2 an 8x8 Nori sheet.

jgln
09/28/2017, 01:49 PM
3 fish love it 1 does not.

Xxero
09/28/2017, 11:34 PM
I've continued to include the Mysis with the fish's food all week long, and most of them are coming around to it. I've noticed that they're eating everything else first, and then they will succumb to the Mysis. I have a One Spot Foxface Rabbitfish who is usually a ferocious eater, but he still won't have anything to do with the Mysis. If he gets one in his mouth, he'll spit it right back out.

Current Fish List: (If anybody is curious)

* ORA Ocellaris Clownfish pair
* 3 Blue/Green Reef Chromis
* One Spot Foxface Rabbitfish
* Starry Blenny

I think that I will order some of that LRS Reef Frenzy food though. If it lasts as long as everyone says it does, then it's really not that much more of an expense.

ThanX guys! :bigeyes:

smatter
09/29/2017, 08:25 AM
I can also recommend LRS foods. Everything in my tanks goes nuts for the stuff. Nano Reef Frenzy is my go to food.