PDA

View Full Version : Not your usual DIY stand question

flsalty
09/26/2017, 07:44 PM
I am designing a stand for a standard 90 gal tank. It will be a tall stand based on the same basic design as found elsewhere in this forum. The difference is it will be a three tiered system.

Top tier is the 90. Middle tier is either a 29 or 30 gal display macro fuge. Bottom tier is a DIY 30 gal sump.

So, basically, I will be building a stand within a stand for the display fuge. I'd like to offset the sump to the back for ease of maintenance and plumbing.

My question is: Would it be okay to set the rear edge of the fuge on a 2x4 that spans the full 48" length of the main stand since I obviously can't have one leg going into the sump below. The other three corners would be resting on their own legs. The short side span on the left would have a leg about 6" in from the front.

I hope I have explained this clearly. I haven't quite figured out how to use a computer sketch program to illustrate this.

der_wille_zur_macht
09/26/2017, 07:52 PM
I don't think this will be a problem, assuming good lumber selection and good construction techniques.

If you are nervous, you could double the 2x4 - that would probably be the easiest way to get more strength without using up valuable space.

mcgyvr
09/27/2017, 05:47 AM
I hope I have explained this clearly. I haven't quite figured out how to use a computer sketch program to illustrate this.

Nope.. not really..
Napkin sketch maybe?

billdogg
09/27/2017, 07:45 AM
I don't think this will be a problem, assuming good lumber selection and good construction techniques.

If you are nervous, you could double the 2x4 - that would probably be the easiest way to get more strength without using up valuable space.

I agree completely. A number of years ago, I had a 150 long (72x24x21ish) on top of a acrylic 90 all-in-one with the sump for the 150 in the base. It worked just fine. I used a variation of the standard 2x4 plans that many stands are based on. I did need a step ladder to get into the 150.

flsalty
09/27/2017, 05:32 PM
Okay, hopefully this image shows up.

The top sketch is the front view so you can see that the 29 needs to be on it's own stand. There will be a sump on the floor underneath it.

The bottom sketch is a top view. I'm thinking a 2x4 spanning from side to side will support the weight. My concern is the circled part. No leg there. The screw and glue holding that corner together wouldn't be supporting the full weight since the one 2x spans the entire thing. The short side piece will have one leg on the front corner and I can add another one about 6" in. OR I might be able to put another 2x under the frame, spanning from front to back.

https://imgur.com/iaalv9Y

flsalty
09/27/2017, 05:51 PM
Wow...no edit button?

https://i.imgur.com/iaalv9Y.jpg

flsalty
09/27/2017, 05:53 PM
https://i.imgur.com/iaalv9Yh.jpg

der_wille_zur_macht
09/27/2017, 07:02 PM
That strikes me as more than adequate assuming good joinery and wood selection.

flsalty
09/27/2017, 08:59 PM
That strikes me as more than adequate assuming good joinery and wood selection.

In my mind it works. It just looked weird to me on paper.