PDA

View Full Version : 2 Kessil a80 inside 36" 6 bulb ati dimmable fixture

jiminy_crime
09/26/2017, 10:01 PM
I recently switched from Kessil 360s to T5 lighting and am happy with the results so far but would like to add some shimmer bank into the tank.

I know the popular thing to do with free standing ATI fixtures is to add some sort of reefbrite xho or tech strip to the ATI m fixture for accent lighting. But I really do miss the shimmer Kessils provided.

So my thoughts were to replace 2 bulbs with 3 a80s and run them down the middle of the ati fixture. I would lose 48 watts of T5 lighting but would add back 45 watts if Kessil LED lighting to the tank.

Would this work and has anyone tried this?

Thanks for input.

LQT
09/27/2017, 06:53 AM
I think it could work, however, you'd have to account for proper heat dissipation and cooling. The ATI fixtures are built in such a way that the airflow is purposefully circulated and routed through the bulbs with the reflectors in place. Removing the reflectors would disrupt the channeling of air that cools the bulbs. Although the a80s are passively cooled, that heat still needs to dissipate somewhere, a very difficult thing to do when the acrylic shield is on and the air isn't being channeled by the reflectors. Perhaps if you ran the modded fixture with the acrylic shield off, that would help keep the T5 bulbs and the a80s properly vented and cooled.

I know Dave Fason of Nanobox Reef mods ATI T5 fixtures with his LED arrays. But he also adds additional fans to dissipate the heat from the heatsink he uses to mount his LED arrays onto in order to aid in the cooling of the modified ATI fixture.

jayball
09/27/2017, 08:08 AM
So you are loosing more that that as far as power is concerned. 78W t-5 to 45W LED. If they were cooled properly the LED would probably come close in overall output.

The real problem I see is the a-80 heat sync, looking at it, is designed to radiate heat up, while a standard retrofit heat sync would have horizontal fins to channel forced air across.

I have seen where people have chopped up the sheet metal of the ATI light to add 360's, I am not sure how well that turns out though.

rtparty
09/27/2017, 08:16 AM
I'm not sure this will work as clean and nice as you're hoping. The Reefbrite option is the easiest and doesn't require complete modification of your fixture.

A better route would be waiting for the Aquatic Life T5/LED hybrid system coming out in a couple weeks. 4 T5 bulbs and put Kessil fixtures in the middle.

jiminy_crime
09/27/2017, 10:56 AM
But do you get real shimmer with reefbrite xho strips on the ati?

rtparty
09/27/2017, 01:03 PM
But do you get real shimmer with reefbrite xho strips on the ati?Get the white blue mix with a controller. The white should shimmer a little bit

soulpatch
09/27/2017, 02:26 PM
But do you get real shimmer with reefbrite xho strips on the ati?

I have a blue XHO on my ATI. Yes you get a shimmer to the tank. Not as vibrant as when I had Kessils above the tank but still a pretty nice shimmer.