PDA

View Full Version : diy aio

JTL
09/27/2017, 05:10 PM
I have a new 20g tank sitting around and I want to make it into a aio. I have all of the things I need but I am trying to figure out the best way to do the overflow. Specifically, 2 chambers or 3? This is a 20 long so it is only 12" wide. I am going to put the overflow on the end since it is so narrow. I have never had an aio so I need some suggestions.

mcgyvr
09/27/2017, 05:27 PM
Well.. thats up to what you want to do with it and specifically what you intend to put back there..
small fuge? skimmer section? look at what the off the shelf AIO have and decide..

JTL
09/27/2017, 05:44 PM
Well.. thats up to what you want to do with it and specifically what you intend to put back there..
small fuge? skimmer section? look at what the off the shelf AIO have and decide..
Well that was helpful. I don't have one and was looking for info from someone who does and if they like the configuration.

der_wille_zur_macht
09/30/2017, 08:54 AM
John, the challenge is that whether or not someone likes a configuration depends as much on that person's approach to the hobby as it does on the specific configuration. Mcgyvr is asking some good questions that will help people understand your preferences and answer your questions.

Some people like a super simple nano and control nutrients and parameters with water changes only, so they really just need one compartment for a pump and heater. Other people want a skimmer - so, probably two compartments - one for the water to dump in to and to hold the skimmer (keeping the skimmer in the overflow section helps control bubbles) and another for the return pump and heater. If you want some macro algae or a cryptic zone with rock, you probably want a third compartment in between those two. Most people would probably keep the heater and return pump together in the third chamber in the two and three chamber designs. If you have an ATO, it would run off whatever chamber the return pump is in.

It's really the exact same thing as designing a sump, except a lot smaller. If you're not used to tanks with sumps, look around on here at some of the sump design threads and just shrink down the same concepts.

JTL
09/30/2017, 09:17 AM
I appreciate the advice and I have looked at various designs and was hoping someone would offer an opinion based on personal experience. I will probably just make 3 sections which gives me a little flexibility. I have built a few larger tanks and sumps as well but never a little tank like this. I am not adding a skimmer, just some filtration and bio media. It will be used as a frag tank and occasionally and QT.