PDA

View Full Version : Want to purchase a silent return pump....

reef4life07
09/27/2017, 05:11 PM
So I had to buy a return pump today, because my old one crapped out. I made a quick run to the closest lfs, and all they had was the sicce syncs silent pump. I don't like it at all, because it's completely opposite of silent. Does anyone know of a 500-700gph pump that is pretty quiet?

jda
09/27/2017, 05:15 PM
Ehiem is the quietest that I have heard. None of them are complete silent, IME. None... even if people say otherwise.

Lsufan
09/27/2017, 06:27 PM
I have a ehiem 1262 & it's pretty quiet. I have to have my head under the stand & be listening for it to be able to hear it. My fluval sp6 is quieter then the ehiem though, & it puts out 4 times as much flow. How u install a return pump can make a big difference in noise

ca1ore
09/27/2017, 06:42 PM
Pumps make noise in two ways. One is the inherent hum of the motor, the other is any vibrations that are transmitted into something that then makes noise. There are a few pumps I've used that generate very little inherent noise, but it's up to you to more sure tat vibrations are damped. I've been quite pleased with the Vectra M1. I only run it to about half capacity, so it is essentially inaudible. Makes a bit of hum at full power though.

rishma
09/27/2017, 07:29 PM
I prioritize quiet over all other parameters. I have I focused on quiet for every piece of equipment in my tank. No equipment the silent , But some are very quiet.

After trying quite a few pumps including eheim and syncra silent, I am satisfied with the Sicce syncra PRO for my return. This is completely different than the Sicce syncra silence. I have it sitting on a silicone mat and enka-mat to deaden the vibration. After running for a few days, it is exceptionally quiet. I had planned to get a vectra S1 but I don't think I will need to provide this pump stays sufficiently quiet.

Without the pump running, inside my stand was at 40 dB. With the pump running, it jumped to 49 dB with the iPhone right next to the pump.

Best of luck in your pursuit

zachfishman
09/27/2017, 07:51 PM
Curious, my Syncra Silent is quite silent...

WLachnit
09/27/2017, 08:24 PM
I prioritize quiet over all other parameters. I have I focused on quiet for every piece of equipment in my tank. No equipment the silent , But some are very quiet.

After trying quite a few pumps including eheim and syncra silent, I am satisfied with the Sicce syncra PRO for my return. This is completely different than the Sicce syncra silence. I have it sitting on a silicone mat and enka-mat to deaden the vibration. After running for a few days, it is exceptionally quiet. I had planned to get a vectra S1 but I don't think I will need to provide this pump stays sufficiently quiet.

Without the pump running, inside my stand was at 40 dB. With the pump running, it jumped to 49 dB with the iPhone right next to the pump.

Best of luck in your pursuit

40 to 49 dB is big jump in sound. My bet is that a Vectra pump wouldn't increase it by that much...

ca1ore
09/27/2017, 09:18 PM
I always forget exactly, but if memory serves each 3db increase is a doubling of sound volume. So 9db is a lot!

tkeracer619
09/27/2017, 11:17 PM
3db is double. That is correct.

My Ecotech Vectra L1 is very quiet. When I tried it out I couldn't tell it was on. Hoping to get it installed permanently in the next few weeks.

rishma
09/28/2017, 06:05 AM
Guys, I used a little decibel meter because I was having a difficult time hearing the difference between two pumps I was testing. Maybe I'm not using it right. It most certainly was not a major increase in Audible noise.

I can assure you the tank is quiet by anyone's standards. My previous tank had a soundproofed stand and this one is quieter.

Best of luck

rishma
09/28/2017, 06:18 AM
40 to 49 dB is big jump in sound. My bet is that a Vectra pump wouldn't increase it by that much...

Give it a try. Free app. 5 minutes.

ca1ore
09/28/2017, 08:37 AM
Understood. I was able to get my tank down to about 45db at night with various soundproofing and equipment changes ..... almost inaudible. Then I replaced my lights with the new Radions, not realizing the fans run 24/7 and are most definitely NOT inaudible :(

Wazzel
09/28/2017, 08:37 AM
My Sicce Syncras are not loud. When the fans on my hydras kick on you can not hear the pumps. When the fans are off there is a little background hum, but not much. Basically my house has to be shut down to hear my tank. All the regular stuff going on is way louder than my tank.

d_malisz
09/28/2017, 09:38 AM
The best what I have is Acua Medic EcoRunner - I had to touch to see if it was working :)

ktownhero
09/28/2017, 02:20 PM
My Sicce Syncras are not loud. When the fans on my hydras kick on you can not hear the pumps. When the fans are off there is a little background hum, but not much. Basically my house has to be shut down to hear my tank. All the regular stuff going on is way louder than my tank.

I directly compared an Eheim 1262 to a Sicce Synchra Silent 4.0 and it wasn't even close... the Eheim was far quieter. Kind of irked me because of the word "silent" in the name of Sicce's pump. This is anecdotal so take it as such.

jacksonpt
09/28/2017, 02:25 PM
I also run an Eheim 1262 on my tank. It's not silent, but it's quieter than my skimmer, my drains, and my MP10s.

mefisto
09/28/2017, 03:11 PM
Royal Exclusive RD3 series.
All left to listen to is your other 'silent' equipment.

rishma
09/28/2017, 04:04 PM
Understood. I was able to get my tank down to about 45db at night with various soundproofing and equipment changes ..... almost inaudible. Then I replaced my lights with the new Radions, not realizing the fans run 24/7 and are most definitely NOT inaudible :(

Nice. Directly in front of my tank, stand door closed, 43-44db....quiet

Scurvy Dawg
09/29/2017, 10:23 PM
So I had to buy a return pump today, because my old one crapped out. I made a quick run to the closest lfs, and all they had was the sicce syncs silent pump. I don't like it at all, because it's completely opposite of silent. Does anyone know of a 500-700gph pump that is pretty quiet?

I use the eheim compact 2000, its dead silent. They updated the pump,which isnt always a good thing, so I made sure I bought another one before they ran out of the older model. You can still find them on Amazon. Flow rate is about 588 GPH.

Uncle Luke
09/30/2017, 06:50 AM

Winner. Doesn't get more silent than this

rishma
09/30/2017, 07:57 AM
Winner. Doesn't get more silent than this

Bet you're right. If only somebody made small skimmers that with that quiet...but that's another thread entirely

mfinn
09/30/2017, 10:01 AM

Very true, but the majority of people hear wouldn't spend the amount of money it takes to own a RD3 pump.

I've tried some many and found pumps like Eheim, Tunze, and Sicce to be pretty darn quiet.
But it wasn't until I tried Vectras, VarioS, and RD3 pumps that I found truly silent pumps. But silence can also be measured in terms of how much can you afford to spend.

Breadman03
09/30/2017, 10:57 AM

Same. Unless a snail was on the back of my overflow, my tank was effectively silent. It was about 40 dB, if memory serves.

rishma
09/30/2017, 11:58 AM
Same. Unless a snail was on the back of my overflow, my tank was effectively silent. It was about 40 dB, if memory serves.

Most would agree 40 is nearly inaudible. I'd like to get there.

mefisto
09/30/2017, 12:05 PM
I think the perception of 'silence' is personal, and has nothing to do with one's financials.

Though it is true that one's financials are likely to have the biggest influence on what one is willing spent on 'silence'.

mfinn
09/30/2017, 01:33 PM
I think the perception of 'silence' is personal,

I agree. Have bought pumps that were called totally silent by friends, that turned out to be noise makers in my house.

kendrid
10/02/2017, 06:33 PM
Ehiem 1262 is the quietest I have heard. I sit 2' from my tank 8 hours a day and I can't hear it and I am very sensitive to noise.

univalreef
10/03/2017, 04:52 AM
I am using these DC pumps
Reef Octopus VarioS Pump for Reefer 350, almost dead silent.
Red Dragon 3 Speedy for Reeder 450 dead silent in any speed.

shaginwagon13
10/03/2017, 05:06 AM
don't like it at all, because it's completely opposite of silent. Does anyone know of a 500-700gph pump that is pretty quiet?

1) Royal Exclusive
2) Abyzz

Best DC pimps around. Can be internal or external, add almost no heat to the tank and are completely silent.

Yes they are expensive but you pay for what you get and you can use the new controllers to dim them down or ramp them up. You can also use them as a wave maker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Abbott
10/03/2017, 07:25 AM
My Sicce SDC 9.0 is quiet imo. Its is pushing around 1000 gph at 12 ft of head and I can not hear it while working in my sump. The sicce pump in my skimmer makes far more noise.

d0ughb0y
10/03/2017, 08:44 AM
Guys, I used a little decibel meter because I was having a difficult time hearing the difference between two pumps I was testing. Maybe I'm not using it right. It most certainly was not a major increase in Audible noise.

I can assure you the tank is quiet by anyone's standards. My previous tank had a soundproofed stand and this one is quieter.

Best of luck

Everyone's hearing is subjective, hence the use of the db meter will make it more objective. You better believe the meter rather than your ear that when you turn on your pump, the noise level tripled.

The meter could read 55 and someone will still claim it is dead silent.

only 40db and below reading can even be considered dead silent.

rees2301
10/03/2017, 03:58 PM
3db is double. That is correct.

My Ecotech Vectra L1 is very quiet. When I tried it out I couldn't tell it was on. Hoping to get it installed permanently in the next few weeks.I run the M1, very quiet and great runner.

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk

ksed
10/03/2017, 04:05 PM
My Sicce SDC 9.0 is quiet imo. Its is pushing around 1000 gph at 12 ft of head and I can not hear it while working in my sump. The sicce pump in my skimmer makes far more noise.

12ft and still getting 1000gph? Thatís pretty good. Is the controller easy to set up and operate?

Dmorty217
10/04/2017, 07:39 AM
1) Royal Exclusive
2) Abyzz

Best DC pimps around. Can be internal or external, add almost no heat to the tank and are completely silent.

Yes they are expensive but you pay for what you get and you can use the new controllers to dim them down or ramp them up. You can also use them as a wave maker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 I have the Royal Exclusive RD3 230w and can't hear it running at all. I purchased the pump for quality,reliability and customer service so sound wasn't a contributing factor when I initially made the purchase but the pump is silent. I don't have the pump running at 230w either though.

smatter
10/04/2017, 09:35 AM
So DC is the way to go? I'm currently running an Eheim compact+ 2000 on my little REEFER Nano and it's really quiet but want to be able to bump up the flow occasionally. I was looking at the Tunze Silence Electronic 1073.050.

HippieSmell
10/04/2017, 10:20 AM
I always forget exactly, but if memory serves each 3db increase is a doubling of sound volume. So 9db is a lot!

+3db requires double the power to increase speaker volume by that amount. Not sure how true that holds for other objects.

+10db is subjectively twice as loud. So, 9 db is almost twice as loud.

This is also dependent on frequency. Google equal loudness curve to see it. Some pumps can sound louder, even though it's the same db, because it has peaks on sensitive areas of our hearing.

jda
10/04/2017, 10:40 AM
So DC is the way to go?

I would qualify this by saying that end DC might be the way to go, but the cheap DC stuff is not the same. There is a world of difference between the two.

smatter
10/04/2017, 11:20 AM
I would qualify this by saying that end DC might be the way to go, but the cheap DC stuff is not the same. There is a world of difference between the two.

Does the Tunze I'm considering occupy the cheap column? I've been satisfied with many of their products.

ktownhero
10/04/2017, 01:37 PM
Does the Tunze I'm considering occupy the cheap column? I've been satisfied with many of their products.

Of all of the things that get debated in this hobby, one of the things everyone agrees upon is that Tunze pumps are practically bullet proof. You can never go wrong with a Tunze pump.

smatter
10/04/2017, 01:52 PM
Of all of the things that get debated in this hobby, one of the things everyone agrees upon is that Tunze pumps are practically bullet proof. You can never go wrong with a Tunze pump.

That's why I've been using them since they were brown :spin1:. I'm asking with regard to Tunze's DC return pump offerings because compared to some of the high end pumps that have been recommended in this thread for quiet operation, Tunze seems cheap. The super expensive one's don't come with Roger though!

rishma
10/04/2017, 02:10 PM
That's why I've been using them since they were brown :spin1:. I'm asking with regard to Tunze's DC return pump offerings because compared to some of the high end pumps that have been recommended in this thread for quiet operation, Tunze seems cheap. The super expensive one's don't come with Roger though!

Big Roger/Tunze fan.

Based on discussions with Roger, I don't think the tunze DC will be on the same order of quiet as the high end pumps discussed here.

smatter
10/04/2017, 02:29 PM
Big Roger/Tunze fan.

Based on discussions with Roger, I don't think the tunze DC will be on the same order of quiet as the high end pumps discussed here.

That's what I figured, thanks.

jda
10/04/2017, 02:46 PM
Tunze is definitely not in the cheap or underperforming category whatsoever, IMO.

rishma
10/05/2017, 05:43 AM
Tunze is definitely not in the cheap or underperforming category whatsoever, IMO.

Agree.

I think his question was would it be as quiet as the high end like red dragon. The answer to that is likely no, but Tunze are always great value and quality in my experience.

smatter
10/05/2017, 07:23 AM
Agree.

I think his question was would it be as quiet as the high end like red dragon. The answer to that is likely no, but Tunze are always great value and quality in my experience.

That's affirmative. We are talking about sound. I love Tunze stuff. Deviating from the sound discussion, how about the reliability of DC pumps? There's no controller or power supply to go bad on AC pumps.

Dmorty217
10/05/2017, 07:26 AM

No Royal Exclusive comes with Scott (slief) who is just as responsive and helpful as Roger. Roger is the best thing Tunze has going for them, and the only reason anything that is broken gets fixed by Tunze.

smatter
10/05/2017, 07:50 AM
No Royal Exclusive comes with Scott (slief) who is just as responsive and helpful as Roger. Roger is the best thing Tunze has going for them, and the only reason anything that is broken gets fixed by Tunze.

Agreed! Scott is a great guy. :thumbsup: