PDA

View Full Version : Substrare Question Please

Nekko123
09/27/2017, 05:24 PM
My daughter is coming to visit this weekend and we are going to set up her 20 gal tank.

She want's to put a Beta fish in it, but I might be able to convince her to go with a saltwater tank with "Nemo" fish :spin1:

But my reef tank is bare bottom and she doesn't like that. She wants to keep the gravel from the freshwater tank. Would this be okay for a saltwater tank? Of course I will thoroughly clean it.

Thanks

Subsea
09/27/2017, 06:20 PM
Not really. While it could work as a biological filter, you would get zero buffering and trace mineral addittion when aroggonite substrate dissolves during lower pH when lights are off.

I like CaribSea Special Reef Grade araggonite.
Happy reefing.

der_wille_zur_macht
09/27/2017, 06:42 PM
I think there are two versions of your question.

1) Is it safe in a marine tank? Hard to say, without knowing the specific freshwater substrate you're talking about.

2) Will it perform the same potentially beneficial functions as typical marine substrates (ie the buffering and mineral addition Subsea mentions)? Probably not, but again we'd need to know the specific substrate to answer. That said, the value of the substrate is debatable and these functions are easily performed by other features in the system, as evidenced by barebottom reef tanks.

nereefpat
09/27/2017, 09:27 PM
I get the feeling that the betta would be more up your guys' alley in this situation, not that there is anything wrong with bettas.