PDA

View Full Version : Bifuran+ treatment

meklo
09/27/2017, 08:48 PM
I have a few different fish in QT tanks. Some are in the middle of TTM and the others are in an observation period. I've treated them all with one round of prazipro. The TTM tank only did 3 days, but the rest did 4-5 days.

I would like to treat two of the fish with Bifuran+. The reason is because they have small spots.

- A kole tang which I believe hit himself on the live rock. The spot looks like it is doing fine (it never really looked bad), but I figure it would be a safe approach to treat him. He has been eating really well and has shown no signs of any other illnesses. No rapid breathing, no loss of appetite, no lethargy.
- A shallow tail angelfish which had a spot that might have been ich, but the small white spot is gone. However, there is a small brownish spot left. I can't see any lesions or sores, but a slight discoloration remains. The spot is also smooth to the touch. No loss of appetite, no lethargy, no rapid breathing.

Is a freshwater dip of Bifuran better than treating in the tank. This is method I feel like I want to use. Two, or three, days of a freshwater dip. Hikari on their website give directions for both.

Is prazipro, if given as a precautionary method, always better to be dosed twice?

meklo
09/27/2017, 08:52 PM
I feel like I should mention that I put a piece of dry rock in each QT tank when I was originally starting to cycle them. This is prior to any fish. The rock remained through the prazipro treatment and still resides in the tank. The tanks being used in the TTM has not had any live rock. All tanks also have pvp pipes for added hiding spots.

I felt like saying that because I mentioned that the kole tang hit himself on the live rock and I wanted to make clear that these fish have never been in the display. They have been QT for around 4 weeks.

JustinM
09/28/2017, 03:16 PM
Bifuran is an antibiotic. I wouldn't use that quite yet. If you see any signs of infection then I would use it.

As for the tang injury, I would give him a methelyne blue bath. That should help to treat an injury.

Can you post a pic of the angel?

meklo
09/28/2017, 07:01 PM
The clarity on these aren't the best, but maybe it helps.

Jdub968
09/28/2017, 09:35 PM
If I'm looking at the right spot on your tang (hard to tell by pic) I would dose an anticeptic or a meth blue dip like justin suggested. And observe it if it starts to get worse treat with antibiotics. And prazipro should always be used twice even for prophylactically treating.