PDA

View Full Version : Biopellets Reactor

rdnyva
09/28/2017, 06:19 AM
I am using a BRS Dual GFO/Carbon reactor for biopellets. I know BRS says it is not to be used for biopellets, so I just use an oversized pump to get the pellets to tumble at a good rate. I have pellets in both chambers.

I was wondering if it is detrimental to run it as I have been, with water running through both chambers through the pellets twice.

Also wondering why BRS recommends not using this reactor for biopellets. I would think as long as you have the right flow it is ok, but I could be wrong.

mcgyvr
09/28/2017, 07:15 AM
Remove the sponges from the GFO/Carbon reactor cartridge and you have a BRS biopellet reactor.. magic

rdnyva
09/28/2017, 11:12 AM
It doesn't have sponges in them.

I've got the flow right, what I was concerned about was having the flow go through one set of pellets and then another one. Is it better or worse to have all pellets in one chamber?

mcgyvr
09/28/2017, 11:39 AM
It doesn't have sponges in them.

I've got the flow right, what I was concerned about was having the flow go through one set of pellets and then another one. Is it better or worse to have all pellets in one chamber?

Then you removed the sponges..
The GFO/Carbon and biopellet reactors are exactly the same from what I see except the GFO/Carbon has sponges in the refillable cartridges and the other does not..

As to if its going to matter to have them in series both running biopellets.. IMO if you tank needs that much you have bigger problems to worry about versus debating minor efficiency differences in setups..
It shouldn't matter much if any to run it like..seems like a lot of pellets though.. bacterial blooms from excessive amounts of pellets can cause problems..

rdnyva
09/30/2017, 08:10 AM
Thanks, that makes sense to me. I have 200ml of pellets in each cartridge for a total of 400, which is the amount recommended for 100 gallons. I was actually thinking about adding more.

I do have a nitrate problem. For various reasons the tank was neglected for a while. The corals started to not open and extend, so I started doing water changes and vacuuming the sand - pulled out tons of crap. The coral has responded and are looking better, with the exception of Duncans which refuse to extend.

I don't know my nitrate numbers because I can't find a test kit that I can look at and see color change.