PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Finding Tank

1775Nate
09/28/2017, 05:55 AM
I have decided on the 65 gallon standard tank size of 36" x 30" x 25". I just can't fit a 48" tank in the spot available in my house. Plus I like the 25" height vs some of the longer tanks with an 18" height.

I don't want to go custom because I'd like to keep the cost down. I've found most of the local pet stores sell the Aqueon 65 for under $200 but the problem is they are telling me that the entire tank is tempered. I would like to drill my tank to install a Bean Animal overflow.

I have also considered making a DIY tank. I have never done one before but I am pretty very handy and constantly do DIY projects. I'm not sure what the cost difference on a DIY is because I haven't researched it too much. Having nightmares of it coming apart in my family room!

Anyone have any thoughts on where I can obtain a drillable non-tempered 65 gallon tank or advice on whether or not to attempt a DIY?

mcgyvr
09/28/2017, 06:05 AM
Did you mean 36" x 18" x 24" thats a 65 gallon? 36" x 30" x 25" is much larger than 65 gallons...

Where are you located?
Deep Blue Professional #ADB11066 is a 65G tank and only the bottom is tempered..

I'd also call Aqueon to confirm because it might just be that the bottom is tempered on those too and not the sides...

nereefpat
09/28/2017, 07:25 AM
I'm getting much more than 65 gallons there too...more like 117.

Calling aqueon is a good idea. I'm pretty sure any aqueon (all-glass) tank will only have the bottom tempered. If the store has one in stock, it's easy to check with polarized sunglasses.

1775Nate
09/28/2017, 12:19 PM
Yes you are correct. Not sure how that happened. 36" x 18" x 24". I'm going to call aqueon in a few but I've heard they give vague answers and claim they use
whatever materials are available to keep up with demand. The Deep Blue tank is perfect but at a nearly $400 price point is a little more than I was hoping to spend. I've heard that the Aqueon tanks are hit or miss on tempered or non so maybe I'll just have to go to some stores with my polarized glasses until I find one.

mcgyvr
09/28/2017, 12:45 PM
What price are you getting on the Aqueon?
That deep blue should be under $300 from any local fish store..

James404
09/28/2017, 12:51 PM
What price are you getting on the Aqueon?
That deep blue should be under $300 from any local fish store..

Agreed, my 80g rimless Deep Blue was $310 from my LFS, the 65 should be less, especially if you aren't going rimless or reef ready.

mcgyvr
09/28/2017, 01:02 PM
Agreed, my 80g rimless Deep Blue was $310 from my LFS, the 65 should be less, especially if you aren't going rimless or reef ready.

yep.. I have that same tank 80G rimless DB non-RR.. quite a price difference from whats "online" to what your local guys can get it/sell it for..

Tuffyyyyy
09/28/2017, 01:43 PM
The best way to keep costs down when setting up a tank is to buy a used one off of here, Craigslist, Facebook, OfferUp, etc. Good luck!

1775Nate
09/28/2017, 08:57 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I'll call around and try to find a Deep Blue dealer around here. I tried calling Aqueon twice today but they didn't answer. The Aqueon tank that I saw at Petland here in Florida was selling for $179 but they're telling me that the whole thing is tempered. $300 sounds like a fair price for a good non-tempered tank that I can drill. I have not had any luck finding anything used so far. Mostly just standard 55g tanks which are too long for my tank location. I had a fairly successful reef setup years ago in a 55g but I wasn't fond of the particular dimensions. This time around I would like to get a tank that I'm satisfied with and I will do a lot of things differently on my build. I've learned a lot since my last reef tank and have been doing a ton of research over the last couple of months. I think I'll start with the tank and building the overflow first and then piece together the sump and other components. I'm not really in a rush. Would rather be patient, find good used deals or DIY projects but still end up with a quality reef in the end.

1775Nate
10/03/2017, 09:46 AM
I ended up visiting a Petland store in another town and found an Aqueon 65g that is non-tempered for $199. The local Petland store had an Aqueon 65g that was tempered for $179. $199 is probably the best budget price that I'm going to find on a non-tempered.

James404
10/03/2017, 10:52 AM
Congrats on the tank! You should start a build thread when you get going :)