PDA

View Full Version : Will Radion xr30 g4 pro be OK?

stevem650
09/28/2017, 09:43 AM
I am upgrading my RedSea 450 reefer to the 750 which is rimless, 71L*23.6H*25.6D. On the 450 I was running 3 hydra 52's which worked out great for the LPS and softies. My SPS were growing but were never happy under the 52's. I was looking at the new ATI hybrid WiFi 6x80wt T5 & Led fixture. I have two issues with that fixture, not available and cosmetics, ATI hangs from the ceiling.
I am now leaning towards three Radion XR30 g4 pros without T5 supplement and my question is would I be able to keep SPS happy and have better growth? Cosmetically they would look great and keep my other half happy.
This new tank is going to be more SPS dominate. Any input appreciated.

LQT
09/28/2017, 02:48 PM
For a full acro 6' long tank, I'd go minimum of 4 XR30s set up perpendicularly, with the pucks of each fixture going from front to back. According to ATI, the new 6 bulb T5 / LED Powermodule fixtures will be available in the states shortly. They'll also be available in black and special ordered in white. I'd hold out for the ATI release if it were me. :)

stevem650
09/28/2017, 04:17 PM
The Ati fixture hangs from the ceiling. That is not an option. I spoke
To Kevin at ATI and it could be 6 months wait for the 6 bulb hybrid

solitude127
09/28/2017, 04:21 PM
Why not keep the 52's and add them to the AquaticLife Hybrid mounting fixture?

Edit: oh wait, they only make 48" fixtures.

DivingTheWorld
09/28/2017, 04:25 PM
For a 26.5" deep tank, I'd go with an 8x80w powermodule. Not sure if the new WiFi models will be available in 8 bulbs. The rule of thumb for acros is 1 T5 bulb per 3".

As for not wanting to hang it from the ceiling. You can hang it in a hood, you can hang it from bars bolted to the back of your stand, or you can mount it directly to the top of your tank with aftermarket acrylic adapters.

ssgss gogeta
09/28/2017, 04:30 PM
No offense but if your sps wasn't happy under AI hydras either your lighting schedule or something else wasn't right. To say the hydra was the reason your sps wasn't happy is ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevem650
09/28/2017, 05:39 PM
When I say "not happy", I did not have fast growth & color under the hydras, they did ok.

ssgss gogeta
09/28/2017, 05:49 PM
Hydras are a pretty solid light, I still doubt the light itself was the issue. Growth yeah is more liking a lighting thing but color is more likely not a lighting thing and more likely a water thing. Obviously though more factors than just light come into play and those lights are more than capable as I'm sure your aware.

That aside if I was you and the hydras are still working fine I would simply use the hydras running them length ways on the tank in the middle and have a fixture of 2x80w t5 front and back. I don't know how you were running the schedule for the hydras but I would be looking at changing that.

Save you a fair bit of money that you could put into livestock or upgrading skimmer or whatever you wanted. Just my opinion.

jda
09/28/2017, 06:26 PM
Have you found a SPS tank that you like that you might want to emulate the lights on?

SPS is too broad of a term. Acropora are not the same as MBP&S in terms of care or lighting requirements, but if you can keep acros, you can keep the rest too. If you know what you want to keep, then that might help, even if it is a mix of all of them - some people are really deliberate, like me, and won't let any Montis, Birdsnest, Pocis or Stylos into my tanks except for Leng Sy. If you are leaning more toward one or the other, then it might matter a lot... especially if you are on the extreme ends of only having birdsnest and montis vs having only smooth skin and deepwater acropora.

If you were not happy with the Hydras, then the Radions won't be much different, IMO.

stevem650
09/29/2017, 05:52 AM
Hydras are a pretty solid light, I still doubt the light itself was the issue. Growth yeah is more liking a lighting thing but color is more likely not a lighting thing and more likely a water thing. Obviously though more factors than just light come into play and those lights are more than capable as I'm sure your aware.

That aside if I was you and the hydras are still working fine I would simply use the hydras running them length ways on the tank in the middle and have a fixture of 2x80w t5 front and back. I don't know how you were running the schedule for the hydras but I would be looking at changing that.

Save you a fair bit of money that you could put into livestock or upgrading skimmer or whatever you wanted. Just my opinion.

If I were able to add 2x80w t5 to my hydras, that would work. Thats a great idea. On a rimless tank with no hood, how can that be done?

ssgss gogeta
09/29/2017, 05:58 AM
If I were able to add 2x80w t5 to my hydras, that would work. Thats a great idea. On a rimless tank with no hood, how can that be done?

So I think I read hanging fixtures isn't an option. How do you have the hydras set up? With the mounts?

I would speak to a fabricator or someone with 3D printing skills and getting mounts made to hold the t5 fittings aswell

stevem650
09/29/2017, 06:11 AM
So I think I read hanging fixtures isn't an option. How do you have the hydras set up? With the mounts?

I would speak to a fabricator or someone with 3D printing skills and getting mounts made to hold the t5 fittings aswell

I am using AI 3 rail extension mounts that attach to the back of the stand. They only adjust the height position. The rails were installed before the tank was put against the wall. The rails position the hydras front to back only.

ssgss gogeta
09/29/2017, 06:18 AM
I dunno if that same rail will work for your larger tank, but I would put the question to a fabricator if something could be made. And find out the cost involved it may make it a viable option

stevem650
09/29/2017, 09:24 AM
I dunno if that same rail will work for your larger tank, but I would put the question to a fabricator if something could be made. And find out the cost involved it may make it a viable option

This is my tank

stevem650
09/30/2017, 05:47 AM
After many conversations with Keith at ATI, and posts I have decided to go with the new ATI 8 bulb t5 hybrid power module. I am contacting a fabricator and will have a custom mount made. I will post a picture with the new fixture mounted above the tank.