PDA

View Full Version : Apex gear and humidity

jacksonpt
09/28/2017, 11:11 AM
I need to clean up my setup a bit, and a big part of that is dealing with my Apex gear and all the associated wires. I'm considering installing a shelf in my stand above my sump and putting everything there, but I'm concerned about humidity. Should I be?

FWIW, I've got a pretty standard setup - display tank, custom 2x4 stand with sump. The shelf would be as tight to the top of the stand/bottom of tank as I could get it. I've got an Apex JR with 3 Energy Bars and a few small modules.

Any concerns about moisture/humidity?

mcgyvr
09/28/2017, 12:13 PM
maybe... (yes there is a potential to be concerned)

I always ensure my stands are open in the back or include a fan sucking in fresh/dry air to prevent mold,etc... as well as to prevent electrical corrosion,etc..

There are many stories of those having power strips in the sump area and having fires/failures because of corrosion due to excessive moisture..

You can simply get a humidity meter to check and I would be concerned and take action should local humidity get to 80%RH or more..

jacksonpt
09/28/2017, 12:30 PM
Thanks. I'm sure I've got some old PC fans laying around somewhere that I could wire up, but I'll see if I can come up with a better solution/location.

mako61
09/28/2017, 01:41 PM
I needed air movement for a cabinet I had. I used some old PC fans (around 80mm) They where loud enough to be annoying.

I replaced them with some modern larger 140mm PC fans at 1/3 speed/voltage. It was a lot better, and they still moved a good amount of air.

ca1ore
09/28/2017, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I would not put sensitive gear inside an enclosed stand without good ventilation.