PDA

View Full Version : Current Eflux DC Return Pump Question

term_paint
09/28/2017, 12:22 PM
I have a 75 gallon aquarium and wanted to see if this pump will supply enough flow it is rated at 1900 gph . I would like to add a nice size sump probably 40 - 50 gallons in my workshop which is right behind the wall for the display tank. My question is if i calculate this at 75=50=125 that give me about 15 tank turns. Now should i also deduct the gallons for the rock? Then i am confused about what size power heads i will need which will also be the current eflux units. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am getting back into the hobby and only want to setup on time...Thanks.

mcgyvr
09/28/2017, 12:49 PM
You want a return pump rated 3-10x display tank size (after headloss..vertical height plus a bit for elbows,etc..)

So 225GPH - 750GPH is plenty after head loss.. You need to figure out what your headloss will be then look at the chart that comes with the pump (top of water level in sump to highest height you are pumping water to)
So it might be quite a bit of overkill based on what you have said so far but I don't know the head..

An adjustable return pump is a good idea as it allows you to adjust as needed and going slightly larger you can run any reactors,etc... off it too if you want and still not be running at 100% just taxing everything to its max..

term_paint
09/28/2017, 12:51 PM
There will be very little head height because i am going to mount the sump up higher so i dont have to bend....Tough to get old....lol

jml1149
09/28/2017, 02:31 PM
Do you plan on putting an Apex controller on this tank?

term_paint
09/28/2017, 04:36 PM
I have to get some new probes but have a reef keeper elite.