PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of adding shoal or clown tang

lolgranny
09/28/2017, 02:03 PM
Afternoon, I just did a major upgrade and ontop of it moved houses. I have a 8'x3'x30" tank now. I was able to move everything without losing a single coral or fish. I pretty shocking, I surprised myself. Anyways, I'm looking st adding more fish and 1 of them being a shoal or a clown tang. I know these are both aggressive fish. I wanted to get some input from people who have or who have owned them.

Current stock-
Chevron adult tang- 8-10"
Purple tang- 6"
2 yellow tangs- 5"
Powder blue tang- 8-10"
Regal angelfish- 6"
Midas blenny
Cleaner wrasse
Couple small gobies
Couple chromis
8 Anthias

I will also be adding about 6 wrasse, 2 copperband butterflies, filefish, 10 more Anthias, and a dwarf angel or 2.

Thanks for any input
Dave

lolgranny
09/28/2017, 02:19 PM
Or do I skip that idea and go with something more "standard" like a blonde naso or a orangeshouoder

ca1ore
09/28/2017, 02:24 PM
I have kept the Sohal on two occasions, clown once. Sohal was the more aggressive of the two, particularly once it attains some size. Second sohal killed most of my tangs and would actively try to attack my arm. Never again. Nice size tank. Got one of identical dimension sitting in the garage. Change over to come.

lolgranny
09/28/2017, 02:33 PM
I have kept the Sohal on two occasions, clown once. Sohal was the more aggressive of the two, particularly once it attains some size. Second sohal killed most of my tangs and would actively try to attack my arm. Never again. Nice size tank. Got one of identical dimension sitting in the garage. Change over to come.

Both stunning fish, that's what's always had my interest. I've heard clowns are little less aggressive but more health issues. How was your clown? The biting of the arm reminds me of a clown fish. How annoying is that, especially when I'm on a stool armpit deep in the tank

ca1ore
09/28/2017, 03:31 PM
If it was just biting ...... :( Sohal would actively try to slice me with its tail scalpel. Didn't do major damage, but still.

pinnatus
09/29/2017, 07:11 AM
Nasos are very mellow and beautiful. I would go with a Naso over a Sohal any day.

triggreef
02/03/2018, 05:34 PM
Afternoon, I just did a major upgrade and ontop of it moved houses. I have a 8'x3'x30" tank now. I was able to move everything without losing a single coral or fish. I pretty shocking, I surprised myself. Anyways, I'm looking st adding more fish and 1 of them being a shoal or a clown tang. I know these are both aggressive fish. I wanted to get some input from people who have or who have owned them.

Current stock-
Chevron adult tang- 8-10"
Purple tang- 6"
2 yellow tangs- 5"
Powder blue tang- 8-10"
Regal angelfish- 6"
Midas blenny
Cleaner wrasse
Couple small gobies
Couple chromis
8 Anthias

I will also be adding about 6 wrasse, 2 copperband butterflies, filefish, 10 more Anthias, and a dwarf angel or 2.

Thanks for any input
Dave

Sorry old thread revival... Probably you've already done what you wanted, but just thought I'd mention adding copperbands after tangs can be very challenging. I had to remove all 6 tangs I had at one point to be able to get a copperband successfully into my 200g. The most agressive tang would always target the CCB all the way until I removed the last one, and then got tangs in last. What a pita.

If you have, how did you make out with the clown tang, I assume you'd have decided on over the sohal...