PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing ATO

nfrench2100
09/28/2017, 03:51 PM
I am completely on the fence and torn on which ATO I should get. I'm wondering what everyone's experience is on ATO's, and which brand/models work best for you. I am wanting/needing to order it by tomorrow, as I'm getting tired of filling it manually every day lol. I have shopped around for about a week now. And all the reviews are mixed. Anywhere from 1 star to 5 stars, not making my decision very easy. Any advice will be appreciated!

mcgyvr
09/28/2017, 04:13 PM
Are you planning on getting a reef controller?
If so do that and use that..

If not hard to beat a Tunze 3152

Tcox
09/28/2017, 04:32 PM
IMO you cannot beat the Tunze Osmolator. They're absolutely rock solid. In my opinion an ATO is not a "skimp-worthy" item.

James404
09/28/2017, 05:19 PM
For my new build I went with the Apex ATK, since I knew I was going to be using an Apex controller anyway. I believe it can be used standalone as well though.

If not, I would probably go with the Tunze like the other posters mentioned. I know people have been using those for years with no issues.

reefteaser
09/28/2017, 08:51 PM
I used a Hydor Smart level for about 2 1/2 years. Worked well, until it didn't. Upgraded to the Tunze on my big tank a few months ago, and it's rock solid, but more money.
I started a Nuvo 30L and ordered the Aquahub kit from BRS since I already had a lift pump. That was fun to build and has worked well also. Very inexpensive, although old school compared to the Tunze.
For my needs, I'm happy with both of these.

Jon0807
09/28/2017, 09:39 PM
Tunze Osmolator works well, just be aware that there is a priming feature. If you turn it off for any reason, it'll shoot water into the tank once you turn it back on. But you can adjust the amount of water it does. Kinda nerve wracking when you're not expecting it and you're using it on a tank without a sump.

nfrench2100
09/28/2017, 09:43 PM
I've been looking at the Tunze 3152 and am just about sold on it. As far as Reef Controller. That definitely something I would invest in somewhere down the road. But definitely not something I could justify with the wife right now lol. It'll be on my Christmas list tho!

Thanks for the input guys

homer1475
09/29/2017, 06:16 AM
Another vote for tunze osmolator. Rock solid performance.

MrsReefK
09/29/2017, 06:52 AM
We went with the apex ATK. It can be stand alone as well, you don't need to have the controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mluntz
09/29/2017, 09:03 AM
I've been looking at the Autoaqua Smart ATO. No moving parts and looks to be rock solid to me.

EvenFurther
09/29/2017, 11:55 AM
IMO the new Spectrapure ATO is best out there. It doesn't use float switches, has a backup sensor, and adjustable peristaltic pump (no siphon concerns).

SycoCell
09/30/2017, 07:18 AM
JBJ ATO is what I use despite having an Apex. I love it. Half the price of Tunze and haven't had a single issue. Just clean the floats every 6-8 months (All of 1 minute of your time).