PDA

View Full Version : Do diatoms negatively effect corals?

PirateLove
09/28/2017, 10:42 PM
Ever since I set up my new tank I do not get any hair algae, slime, etc I only get brown diatoms. My powerheads turn brown. I noticed I cannot keep GSP and as soon as I add it to the tank it does not open and eventually the top turns brown.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

jlmawp
09/28/2017, 10:58 PM
How new is the tank? Are you certain that you completed the initial cycle?

Can you post some water test levels?

PirateLove
09/29/2017, 06:10 AM
How new is the tank? Are you certain that you completed the initial cycle?

Can you post some water test levels?

I guess it is not too new, I filled and cycled the tank in June this year. Definitely cycled. My parameters from last week are 7dkh, calcium 320, mag 1300, temp 80. My Ph has always been low so I am running a line from the outside window into the skimmer. Just wondering if diatoms instead of other algae was normal?? :fun5:

mcgyvr
09/29/2017, 07:25 AM
You sure its diatoms? Post a pic..
Did you start with "live sand" or dry sand?
Using RO/DI water?
Diatoms really shouldn't be an annoyance or covering powerheads,etc.. it could be something else..

Nitrate/phosphate levels?

thegrun
09/29/2017, 07:46 AM
A severe diatom outbreak will cover Corals and kill them. It is particularly harmful to SPS corals. I'm

mcgyvr
09/29/2017, 09:13 AM
A severe diatom outbreak will cover Corals and kill them. It is particularly harmful to SPS corals. I'm

yeah I guess it can get really bad but man thats hard to get to that level IMO..
Normally they don't get near being a "severe" issue unless something is really off..

Tripod1404
09/30/2017, 01:58 AM
Diatoms also indicate there is silicate in your water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk